UDS out of homemade Stainless drum / Build pics!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Looks good sailor.  Thanks for the pics too.  It makes sens to keep the holes smaller to make the coals burn longer.  Once I test out drilling I will decide which direction I will go.  Is that one sheet of expanded for the top part?  If so what is the length and height you used to make the circular top part?  
Yes one sheet of the HD Lowes stuff I think the sheets are 12" x 24" . So this is 12" high. I believe that I used a replacement grate for the weber smokey joe as the base. I'll look at it closer when I get home, been several years since I built it.

Not sure how/why my pic came out sideways - I made sure it was upright in the photo editor.

Also - you might notice I didn't cut slots in the upper part of the keg - this was for two reasons:

1 - I figured there would be enough air from the open top

2 - I had run out of cutting wheels 

Now you got me thinking.....  Thanks for all the input I will let you guys know what I decide and probably throw some pics up here.  Also just heard all my fittings for air intakes (2 ball valves) are in.....I got all stainless.  At very reasonable prices.  If I do this right I can have an awesome UDS for under $50.

Last edited:
So I think I have a game plan for the fire box.  I just found out someone I know has a plasma cutter and is willing to let me use it.  That's great news.... 
icon14.gif

So the plan for now is to use the old keg, cut one end off for the ash pan, flip over the keg cut slits and possibly some holes into it (....many....), then attach it to the ash pan and we should be good.  I will get some pics up once we get rolling on it.  

I did get my air intake pieces last night they look good and I cannot wait to put them on.  Pics to come!  Thanks

OK so since it has been awhile I have to give an update. I started the fire box. Now I need to put it together and man that plasma cutter is awesome. This was my first time using that cutter and I was amazed how easy it worked. But by no means a pro...:biggrin:

Sorry for the bad pics but I will try to get some better ones.

Last edited:
Sorry for the bad pics but I will try to get some better ones.....duplicate post, How do I delete this post???

Last edited:
So I opted to tweak the firebox a bit, I just used a piece of flat steel for the ash pan.  New pics are in the first post.  Thanks!

Willis,

Too bad you already cut the top off of the SS drum.  That would have made an awesome horizontal smoker, cutting a lid lengthwise, then just adding a heavy duty plain carbon steel firebox off on the side.  It's big enough in diameter that you could have easily added a baffle plate for true reverse flow, and still had tons of cooking room.  At least that is what I thought of when I saw the drum in your first post.

Good luck with your build.  I'm sure it will come out awesome.

1Wheel,

Thanks for the suggestion. Yea a little to far now. But it is always an option in the future. Since I got most of the steel for nothing it wouldn't pain me to change this up in the future. Thanks for stopping by.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky