UDS Drum

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

desertbilly

Original poster
Jun 23, 2013
Peoria, Az
I know it's been probably asked a million times before but I just picked up a barrel for 30$ that used to hold silicone in bags the drum is clean for the most part with little residue. I'll add a pic of the drum and what was in it and do you think washing and them burning it out will do the trick?
170086013126887118601421215948.jpg
17008601487515065993101338590100.jpg

G
Drill your vent holes in the bottom side then burn out
Go find a few old pallets behind a hardware store, and fill that barrel up and burn it out until it gets cherry red. A leaf blower or shop vac on blow pointed into one of the bottom holes works great to get the temps up, I left the leaf blower going for an hour and my barrel was cherry red for almost 4 hrs.
My barrel didn't have any spray on liner or clear coat on it, it was a little rusted inside but only surface rust. The heat removed it, then I used an old rag to wipe veg oil on the inside of the barrel while it was still good and hot.
It turned out great. I still use it, and it's 10 yrs plus old.

Nice! That's a smooth sided drum also. I drug a couple clamp top drums home from work awhile back. Gonna be a winter project. Seen a smooth stainless one at work last week I've got my eye on.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky