Types of oak

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
I have a friend I buy wood chunks from for my cabinet. I likely will be buying splits from him for my Lang now. He has a lot of oak to clean out of his property. There are various kinds of oak. Are there any types of oak that are NOT good for smoking wood? I generally think not but wanted to throw it out there to those more experienced than me in wood selection.

Around here we only have red and white oak. I see some down south have live oak and post oak. I would think all oak is good being a hardwood.

Red Oak & White Oak are Hardwoods & Great for Smoking.
I don't know anything about the other Oaks, because I only used Red & White in Cabinetmaking.

Bear

Reactions: jcam222
Down here in Florida we have several varieties of oak & they are all good for smoking. I have several scrub oak trees in my back yard that I trim regularly & dry for smoking.
Al

Reactions: jcam222
I find the red oaks to be a touch milder and sweeter than whites when smoking. i use all kinds of oak all the time in my Lang it is all good as long as its dry. you hit on concrete and it sounds like a baseball bat.

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky