• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

turkey

smoke 2 geaux

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Mar 18, 2010
I put mine again in the beginning. I think you lose too much moisture if you stick a hole in a partially cooked bird.  Juice pours out around the probe. I cook my turkeys up around 275-285 so I'm not worried about hitting safe temps in time. 

arnie

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Feb 20, 2010
I put mine again in the beginning. I think you lose too much moisture if you stick a hole in a partially cooked bird.  Juice pours out around the probe. I cook my turkeys up around 275-285 so I'm not worried about hitting safe temps in time. 
Ditto. For turkey at those temps there shouldn't be an issue hitting the safe temps at all

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
I agree, put it in right away. The hole will seal around the probe as it cooks. No need to worry about the 4 hour rule smoking at higher temps. Don't get a huge bird, 12-14 lbs. is about the limit. Also, welcome to SMF. Would you kindly go to the roll call section & introduce yourself, tell us what equipment you have, your experience, and a little about yourself & your location.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.