Turkey time!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Here ya go fellas....

turkey breasts trimmed into cylinders. 4.375# of meat. I pulled the tenderloins and cut the triangle scrap off and have ~2# meat. I will fry that one night this week. Smoked and fried turkey breast off one bird-perfect!

Brine mixed and cooled.

Inda bags to cure. I have 2 bags, one breast per bag.

See y'all in 6~7 days....

Last edited:
Today is smoke day. I have goose pastrami on the smoker now, when I raise the temp to 160* to finish the pastrami @145* INT, I will put the Turkey breasts on the smoker.

Trussed and drying to for pellicle...

Qview:

2 hours into the cook.

Plate shot after pulling them off the smoker...

I don't know it the camera can pick this up, but look how juicy that meat is after cooling to 40*INT...

Money shot

Best damn smoked turkey breast I have ever done....bar none.

I sliced half of one breast for sandwiches this week, cut the other breast in half and vacuum sealed the whole pieces for the freezer...

Last edited:
Congratulations on your Spring gobbler and those breast sure look delicious.     Can you share your brine and cure recipe?

Congratulations on your Spring gobbler and those breast sure look delicious.     Can you share your brine and cure recipe?
Thanks. Google Hank Shaw, I used his recipe, but use a few modifications. No honey in the brine, I used all brown sugar. Raw honey is very high in botulism spores and to my mind would not be smart to put that into a brine with raw meat...

I used Dr. Blonders wet cure calculator for the cure #1 amount and how long to leave in the brine.

I smoked@160* for 2 hours to get some smoke on the meat, then I cranked the heat up to 275~300* to finish INT to 160*. I pulled the meat and let it ret covered with aluminum foil until the INT hit 165*. If you cook low and slow the entire time-you will end up with dry meat. I wanted my turkey juicy. I used cherry chips and hickory pellets for smoke.

Last edited:
I just realized that I forgot to put the legs and thighs on the smoker with the turkey breast. Shucks... Well, I'll have to smoke them with the second batch of goose pastrami that should hit the smoker sunday.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky