Turkey test day

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Kevin DeShazo

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Nov 7, 2018
So in years past we have done a orange, black tea and bourbon brine roasted turkey. Today, Im gonna smoke the brined turkey with some mequite and bourbon char.

I looked for a not stupid expensive source for orange wood to no avail, so gonna try throwing some orange peel in with the wood chips abd bourbon char.

Seasoned uo the turkey with SPOG minus the salt since the turkey has been brined. Also mixed in a bit of chipotle powder for abit of a kick.

Ill report back later with picts and results

Reactions: fivetricks
So in years past we have done a orange, black tea and bourbon brine roasted turkey. Today, Im gonna smoke the brined turkey with some mequite and bourbon char.

I looked for a not stupid expensive source for orange wood to no avail, so gonna try throwing some orange peel in with the wood chips abd bourbon char.

Seasoned uo the turkey with SPOG minus the salt since the turkey has been brined. Also mixed in a bit of chipotle powder for abit of a kick.

Ill report back later with picts and results
Come on down to Florida and we can get you some citrus wood. :-). I'm looking forward to the pics.

So bird is done, went for about 3.5 hrs at 275. Couple times thru the cooking I brushed on some olive oil, thanks to a video to just saw this morning on here. Not super crispy but only being in for 3.5hrs, Ill take it, def not rubber.

Let it rest for about 30 mins and cut off a small piece where the skin didnt cover. Gotta say, it came out quite delicious. Will find out if the orange peel comes thru at dinner.

Did put a touch too much chipotle in the rub but still pretty good.

Heres a before it went into the smoker
1102191300~2.jpg

And after the smoking
1102191602~2.jpg

Looks good, i find that if I use a bird thats prebrined my brine dosent put much if any flavor into the bird. Just so much water/salt spices they will take in. Some years I cant find 1 thats not brined

The ones we usually buy are store brand they have a tendancy to have the lowest salt content, think Harris Teeters is like 7% versus most name brand are 17% and up. If you have a local turkey farm, that may be your best option

Your turkey looks great!
I usually buy Butterball turkeys, so no need to brine.
But I do inject them with Tony C's butter & jalapeno marinade.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky