Turkey Wings...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
About a month ago, a local grocer had a big poultry sale and initially I wasn't interested in the turkey wings, but on second thought I decided to get some. These are big Tom Turkey wings and I was thinking maybe grilling or smoking them. Poked around on the interweb and here's what I came up with. It started with a recipe from iheartrecipes.com that I loosely followed so here we go...

Turkey wings were rubbed with EVOO and seasoned with SPOG, poultry seasoning, and a BBQ rub. Any rub you like will be good, I used Super Bird from Fire & Smoke Society...
20220904_141202[1].jpg

20220904_142431[1].jpg

Onto a Weber with some lump and a couple of splits of cherry to get some smoke and char...
20220904_150752[1].jpg

20220904_155419[1].jpg

After an hour on the grill, into an aluminum pan with some chicken broth. Covered and into a 325℉ oven for 2 more hours...
20220904_180118[1].jpg

After 2 hours, I placed the wings back on the grill and sauced them with Sticky Fingers Carolina Sweet Original because I had it. Any sauce would be fine. I sauced each side and let the sauce get sticky and set on the wings...
20220904_181154[1].jpg

20220904_181619[1].jpg

Served with roasted carrots, mashed sweet potatoes, coleslaw, and Pillsbury yeast rolls with homemade honey butter. Time to eat...
20220904_184005[1].jpg

This was my second attempt at cooking some of these wings. The first attempt I just grilled them to an I.T. of about 170℉ or so. They had good flavor, but were tough. I needed to figure out another way because I bought a 30 lb. box of these things. These were fall off the bone tender and were a hit with my crowd and will probably be the way I cook them again unless something else comes along. I could see these being cooked uncovered on a smoker in an aluminum pan for an hour and then covered for 2 hours or until tender.

Side notes: The BBQ sauce, if used, can be set using the broiler in the oven. That's what the recipe I used suggested. I think these would be great without any sauce, though.

The coleslaw was tri-colored shredded cabbage in a bag that I bought from Walmart. Usually I make my own dressing, but this time I got lazy and used Marzetti Original Slaw Dressing. I have not used it in quite a while and had forgotten how much I liked it, but it is a little pricey.

The carrots were coated with EVOO, honey, salt & pepper and roasted in a 425℉ oven until tender, about 45 minutes maybe. I don't really time them, just watch them and test for tenderness. They'll start to turn a little brown on the edges when they're close.

The sweet potatoes were peeled, cut up, and boiled until tender. Whipped using a mixer with warmed ½ & ½, unsalted butter, and maple syrup to taste...

This was my second attempt at cooking some of these wings. The first attempt I just grilled them to an I.T. of about 170℉ or so. They had good flavor, but were tough.
This too was my problem when I did them a few months back.In hindsight I thought about doing them like ribs,3-2-1 type of method.

After seeing this thread it motivates me to want do wings again.Just gotta find some.

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Looks awesome!! I LOVE doing turkey wings. I wish I could source them in bulk. When I’ve done them in the air fryer I’ll take temp all the way to 185F+ for tender and juicy.

Last edited:
This too was my problem when I did them a few months back.In hindsight I thought about doing them like ribs,3-2-1 type of method.

After seeing this thread it motivates me to want do wings again.Just gotta find some.
I looked on here and there's not much in the way of ideas or recipes so I had to step out to the interweb and take a look. The 3-2-1 method is also a good idea and I'd use an aluminum pan...

Now that is a great plate of good food right here Charles.

I could go for those wings any day. We don't see them at all around here , or at least I have not.

David
Thank you, David. They are quite common around here and a staple in many soul food recipes...
Great looking meal
Thanks a bunch, Jim!!
those wings look so good and a great looking plate!! thanks for sharing this!!
I appreciate it, thank you...
Glad you found a recipe for those 30 lbs and they look great Charles !
Fix me a plate of everything please sir!

Keith
Yeah Keith, I got worried after my last fail. Can't eat but so much turkey soup...:emoji_laughing:
I'll have you a plate ready and waiting, come on...
Looks awesome!! I LOVE doing turkey wings. I wish I could source them in bulk.
Thank you, Jeff. K.J.'s, a local grocer, was selling a 30 lb. box for $40. Pretty good deal if one has the room for them in a freezer. I vacuum sealed them in 4-5 wing packs. Thank you for the compliments, they are greatly appreciated...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky