Turkey Safety Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dougmays

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Nov 18, 2010
Gainesville, FL
Yesterday some of us from work went out for a "team outing".  i smoked some ribs, baked beans and a turkey.  Unfortunatly i started the turkey to late (due to space in the smoker) and everyone started leaving around 5pm as it was finsihing.  i was trying to reach for the 160 degree mark, it got to 158 and i decided to wrap it and save it.

So my question is...the breast was at 158...i double wrapped in aluminum foil for about 2 hours then put in my fridge....

is this bird safe to eat?

Where the leg and wing joints bloody?  I cook until the juices run clear and there is no red (other then the smoke) by the bone.  158 is pretty close within error of most thermometers and their placement if you are shooting for 160.

I would reheat it & make sure the IT gets above 165 breast & 175 thigh to be safe. I would not consider it fully cooked. Maybe someone who is more knowledgeable in food safety will be along with a better answer.

alblancher..is was only the breast, no legs and thighs.  people were leaving and cleaning up in a hurry so i didnt have time to cut it and check for redness (some people have no respect for Que) :)

SmokinAl - i might reheat it tonight and slice it up. its been in the fridge since monday wrapped in alumninun foil....think its still ok?

ok...i think tonight i'll cut it open...maybe give it a smell and a small taste...should be able to tell from there if its bad or good

Take a couple of big bites and wait about 8 hours,  you'll know for sure by then 
laugh1.gif

No, I'm sure you will be fine

158* plus a foil wrapped 2 hour rest should have easily given a carry-over temp of 160*. Then, 2 days fridge...I'd slice it up for sandwiches, make some into chucks for soup, etc., bag what you won't eat tonight or for lunch Thursday, and freeze it.

Eric

Doug, I'm onboard with the boys above. If I am Smoking or Roasting a Turkey breast I only go to 160*F and rest it. A 3 or more pound Breast or Roast anything will easily Carryover 5-10 degrees and you can tell your Buddies that left, that they missed out on some Amazing Juicy Q!...JJ

Take a couple of big bites and wait about 8 hours,  you'll know for sure by then 
laugh1.gif

No, I'm sure you will be fine

hahahaha...this was going to be my plan...better me get sick them my coworkers.  cut it up this morning (cubed) and brought into work.  everyone loves it so it was a success.  thanks for all the advice fellas!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky