Turkey Pastrami on Beer Bread

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cowgirl

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 2, 2007
Oklahoma
I make this fairly often.. it's one of my favorites
For the turkey pastrami I mix..
5 cloves of garlic minced
1/4 cup of brown sugar
1/3 cup of paprika
2 TBS cracked black pepper
1 tsp of powdered ginger (I used fresh minced)
1 tsp of mustard seeds
1/4 cup of kosher salt
and 1/3 cup of crushed corriander

Cover the turkey breast with the mixture, then wrap and chill overnight. Best to chill in a bowl to catch any drippings.

Then onto the Memphis Pro with a skillet of beer bread. I brushed the top of the bread with butter and sprinkled with minced onions...
I started with a low smoke then raised the temperature to 325F. Brought the turkey up to an internal temp of 170, then let it rest.
I just rap the top of the bread to see when it is ready (sounds hollow)

Beer bread..mix 3 cups of self rising flour with
1/4 cup of sugar
a bit of salt
and one beer

I made a smokey cheese disc by shredding some of my favorite cheeses together... let them smoke until melted, then chilled...

I split the bread and started with a layer of pastrami, then my smokey cheese disc...

caramelized onions...

crisp bacon...

pretty green stuff to make it look healthy...

I slathered the lid with a creamy horseradish sauce...

Best to make this when you have company... lol It makes several servings!

Thanks for looking!

How the heck do you stay so skinny with the great food you make - That looks mighty tasty. The answer to your question in the PM you sent me is - a plate of this LOL  

How the heck do you stay so skinny with the great food you make - That looks mighty tasty. The answer to your question in the PM you sent me is - a plate of this LOL  
LOL!  It's the range bred, fence jumping cows that keep me fit..  also I'm pretty good at clearing a 4' fence with a mean momma sow hot on my heels.
biggrin.gif

I will get a plate of this sent right to ya!!!  LOLOL!   (((HUGS)))

icon_cool.gif

Now it has been awhile sinces I have seen anything from you Jeanie but this sure makes up for it too. This look more then delish to me and I'm real sure many many of the new folks that will see this I hope.  

Last edited:
Thanks Al!! :)

icon_cool.gif

Now it has been awhile sinces I have seen anything from you Jeanie but this sure makes up for it too. This look more then delish to me and I'm real sure many many of the new folks that will see this I hope.  
Thanks Mark. :)  I've been lurking more than posting... just keeping out of the way.

Thanks Les!!  That's what I was thinking too, it's gotta be healthy.
biggrin.gif

Craig, Thank you!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

That's just a beautiful sandwich, Jeanie!  Did you ever cook anything that wasn't perfect?  Just asking.
superjob.gif

That's just a beautiful sandwich, Jeanie!  Did you ever cook anything that wasn't perfect?  Just asking.
superjob.gif
Keith...you are too kind.  It's good to see you, hope winter is treating you well. :)   Thanks Friend!!

Looks great,

I was wondering if you did the chesse in a large batch like a couple pounds how it would turn out have you ever tried that? 

Seems like it would work out if you did not loose too much moisture.

Nick

Looks great,

I was wondering if you did the chesse in a large batch like a couple pounds how it would turn out have you ever tried that? 

Seems like it would work out if you did not loose too much moisture.

Nick
Thanks Nick!  I've not tried a large batch, just the thin ones..  I cold smoke blocks of cheese and combine them later by shredding together.  You might be right about the moisture problem.  The hotter smoking temperature might draw too much moisture out of something that big.

If you give it a try, keep me posted and I will do the same!  Thanks!!

Sounds like a deal I might try that in the next week or so and I will let you know.  I am having a hard time getting really good cheese here as our local dairy that made cheese was hit by a tornado and now they are not making cheese any more.  That really sucks as it was probably the best cheese I have ever had.

OMG---And every layer exactly the way I like it!!! -----Even NO SPACE between the Bacon slices !!!!!

Makes me wish I was still at Ft Hood! -----Almost!

Thanks for some great views,

Bear

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky