Turkey on WSM

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

terhaart2009

Original poster
Apr 30, 2018
I’m planning on doing the Thanksgiving turkey on my 18” wsm this year. Was wondering if anyone had any advice on cooking temps. I’ve read that 300-350 is ideal. I typically only cook at 225-250, so what are some tips to sustain a higher temp? Also for planning purposes, how long of a cook am I looking at with a 15 lb bird? Thanks!

Higher temps are required to crisp the skin, so aim for the 300-350F chamber temp. No water in water pan.

Use lump charcoal if you can. If using briquettes, triple the amount of hot briquettes you use to start a 225F smoke. You can use even more hot briquettes and it won't hurt.

All vents full open. Temp will drop a lot when you load the meat. Should take between 2.5 and 3.5 hours.

Point the breast away from the top vent whether you spatch or leave whole. It helps even out the final meat temp and keeps the breast from overcooking.

Last edited:
Here's one I did. It was my first. It was done on my 22" but it will be basically the same for a 18". Maybe there is something in there that will help you out. Advice on temps: Vents open until you reach about 300* then slowly ratchet the bottom vents down until your maintaining 325*. Once stable put the turkey on and let her rip. Also keep the top vent open at all times.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/1st-try-at-a-smoked-turkey.274867/

Chris

Point the breast away from the top vent whether you spatch or leave whole. It helps even out the final meat temp and keeps the breast from overcooking.

So by that do you mean that you set it on the grates breast down?

Also, I've only done pork butts on my 18" since I got it last year, so I haven't done hot and fast yet. If I don't put water in the water pan, will I be able to hold temps near 350?

So by that do you mean that you set it on the grates breast down?

No. Breast side up. Point the boney ends of the legs toward your top vent. Heat follows the straightest path to the top vent, so the grate is actually hotter under that top vent than the other side of the WSM. Not by much, but enough that it can make a difference in the internal temps of the meat. I do 4-6 turkeys a year. Once I figured out the hot side of the WSM (under the vent), I no longer had differences in my breast meat. I'd get one side dry/one side moist, or over-done breast/underdone dark meat. Now, it all comes out perfectly, or as close as you can get.

Also, I've only done pork butts on my 18" since I got it last year, so I haven't done hot and fast yet. If I don't put water in the water pan, will I be able to hold temps near 350?

Ooops, forgot the 350F part. A turkey is a big heat sink. I've seen temps drop from 350F to 270F as soon as I loaded the meat. Don't sweat it. As the meat heats up, the chamber temp will climb. You can always help it along by adding more hot coals, but I only do that if it settles in lower than I want. You can also burp the lid. Take the lid off for a couple of minutes, or put something heat resistant, like a brick, under the vent side to raise the lid for a few minutes. The extra air will feed the fire and raise the chamber temp.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky