turkey moisture

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

clintconaway

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 18, 2009
Indanapolis
I have smoked a 3lb turkey breast and the moisture was unbelevable it took about 4.5 hours next I will smoke a 6.5 lb breast and I fugure it to take about 8 or 9 hours to get to temp any tips on how to keep the bird from drying out i will brine for 6 -8 hours only due to a 15% salt soultion already added? I keep my temp at 225-250 in a gas smoker

That seems like a very long time to smoke a turkey breast my friend. If you brine the breast, you should be able to kick the heat up to 300-325 and finish it in a couple hours, with the benefit of a nice crisp skin.

Agreed, kick up the heat a bit on the bird as the lower the temp will also put the bird at risk of being in the danger zone, temperature-wise. Also, don't be afraid to baste or spritz the bird while it's smoking.

I have good luck with higher temps. Read before that low fat meats (poultry) should be cooked faster to keep them from drying out. Seems to work for me. Keeps the skin crispy too.

hey clint,
i did a turkey and posted it 10-26-09, look it up, i inject with oil and beer then wrap with cheesecloth, it is so moist when i finish after about twelve hours in

I also use high heat on all poultry, I don't see a need/benefit for low and slow on birds.

I'll just echo what everyone else has already said: 275-325 is a good range for poultry. Shouldn't take more that a couple of hours, and if you brine it first it'll come out flavorful and juicy.

I would brine the breast too and then do a bacon eother slices and lay over the breast and pull them off near the end to chrisp up the skin. Or you can do a weave to the bacon and then ley it over the breast and your'l be just fine. Have you tried a turkey breast with the bones in it they also are done the same way brine smoke eat. But they are to me alot easier and they also come out really moist.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky