Turkey Brine Recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

78camaro

Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
Rolla, Mo
Hello...I'm going to smoke a couple of 13lb birds with apple wood this Thanksgiving in an MES 40" and was looking for a good brine recipe. I have to steer clear of any Cajun brines...(parents not into turkey with a kick). Anyway post em up if ya don't mind...thanks guys!

I use a real simple one:

1/2 cu sugar

1/4 cu salt

1/2 cu Montreal Chicken seasoning

6 cu water

Soak it overnight.

I use a real simple one:

1/2 cu sugar

1/4 cu salt

6 cu water

Soak it overnight.
I was going to try my first turkey this Thanksgiving. Seems like the Slaughterhouse recipe seems VERY popular, but my "gut" was thinking the brine was too overly spiced for turkey...but I'm a newbie so what do  it know! Would this simple brine combined with the Slaughterhouse injection recipe work well?

Do most of you use some sort of injection for your turkey or do any of you keep it pure and simple with no injection?

Lastly, I was thinking about using Oak and Apple chips (50/50), but I'm wide open for any other suggestions! Thanks.

I inject with a simple mix of lawrys seasoning and EVOO or sweet mesquite seasoning from costco mixed with EVOO for my non-spicy turkey eaters. I even did one with a mix of red wine, EVOO and garlic powder that was delicious.

SmokinAl.....I noticed you stated to soak overnight. I've read most places to brine for 24hrs. Is that too long for a 13lb bird? Thanks.

SmokinAl.....I noticed you stated to soak overnight. I've read most places to brine for 24hrs. Is that too long for a 13lb bird? Thanks.
Ooooh, good question. Mine is only 10 lbs. I was going to do 24 hours. Does it matter?

I use a real simple one:

1/2 cu sugar

1/4 cu salt

6 cu water

Soak it overnight.

This seems like less salt than most brine recipes that I've seen.  Is this because of the Montreal Chicken seasoning added which has salt in it itself?

I was going to try my first turkey this Thanksgiving. Seems like the Slaughterhouse recipe seems VERY popular, but my "gut" was thinking the brine was too overly spiced for turkey...but I'm a newbie so what do  it know! Would this simple brine combined with the Slaughterhouse injection recipe work well?

Do most of you use some sort of injection for your turkey or do any of you keep it pure and simple with no injection?

Lastly, I was thinking about using Oak and Apple chips (50/50), but I'm wide open for any other suggestions! Thanks.
The Slaughterhouse brine does not make the bird spicy at all.....but does add flavors.  Fed it to a bunch of pre-shoolers and their parents and not one complaint.

I have a 14 lb bird brining since last night, by the time it goes on the smoker it will have been in for almost 36 hrs.  This my first brined turkey, but I have done chickens for over 48 and they were fine.  Hope this helps

I use 1 hour per pound as a guide. You can leave it in longer, but 13 hours for a 13 lb. bird is plenty.

Reactions: kydave
This seems like less salt than most brine recipes that I've seen.  Is this because of the Montreal Chicken seasoning added which has salt in it itself?

Yes if you use equal parts salt & sugar, I think it makes it too salty.

This is an awesome brine for the holiday turkey:

Good Eats Roast Turkey

Ingredients

* 1 (14 to 16 pound) frozen young turkey

For the brine:

* 1 cup kosher salt

* 1/2 cup light brown sugar

* 1 gallon vegetable stock

* 1 tablespoon black peppercorns

* 1 1/2 teaspoons allspice berries

* 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped candied ginger

* 1 gallon heavily iced water

For the aromatics:

* 1 red apple, sliced

* 1/2 onion, sliced

* 1 cinnamon stick

* 1 cup water

* 4 sprigs rosemary

* 6 leaves sage

* Canola oil

Directions

2 to 3 days before roasting:

Begin thawing the turkey in the refrigerator or in a cooler kept at 38 degrees F.

Combine the vegetable stock, salt, brown sugar, peppercorns, allspice berries, and candied ginger in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Stir occasionally to dissolve solids and bring to a boil. Then remove the brine from the heat, cool to room temperature, and refrigerate.

Early on the day or the night before you'd like to eat:

Combine the brine, water and ice in the 5-gallon bucket. Place the thawed turkey (with innards removed) breast side down in brine. If necessary, weigh down the bird to ensure it is fully immersed, cover, and refrigerate or set in cool area for 8 to 16 hours, turning the bird once half way through brining.

Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F. Remove the bird from brine and rinse inside and out with cold water. Discard the brine.

Place the bird on roasting rack inside a half sheet pan and pat dry with paper towels.

Combine the apple, onion, cinnamon stick, and 1 cup of water in a microwave safe dish and microwave on high for 5 minutes. Add steeped aromatics to the turkey's cavity along with the rosemary and sage. Tuck the wings underneath the bird and coat the skin liberally with canola oil.

Roast the turkey on lowest level of the oven at 500 degrees F for 30 minutes. Insert a probe thermometer into thickest part of the breast and reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Set the thermometer alarm (if available) to 161 degrees F. A 14 to 16 pound bird should require a total of 2 to 2 1/2 hours of roasting. Let the turkey rest, loosely covered with foil or a large mixing bowl for 15 minutes before carving.

Reactions: bacon beard
Say for Thanksgiving I used Jeff's Maple Turkey recipe,  got tons of compliments.  This was the brine.
  • 1 gallons water
  • 1 cup of kosher salt (coarse)
  • 12 oz of real maple syrup
  • 2 TBS of Jeff's Rub
But I was thinking of using some orange marmalade in the brine and as a glaze for the turkey for Christmas.   Anyone use marmalade in a brine or as a glaze on smoked turkey before?...  common for Ham.

I'll have to keep that mind with the brine thank you. On the other hand I have used orange marmalade in my finishing sauce for my pulled pork and it's amazing

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky