Turkey Brine Recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Can I brine chicken legs overnight in smokinals brine?

I did turkey legs once and they got too salty, I screwed up somewhere, so I'd like to try some with chicken legs to learn on.

Anyone ad apple cider to their brine? Will juice substitutions alone affect the saltiness?

Thanks all,

Ed

JALAPENO CHICKEN/TURKEY BRINE

• 6-7  lbs. chicken/turkey

• 2-GALLON WATER CHICKEN/2GALLON 1QUART FOR TURKEY (ENOUGH TO COVER BIRD)

• 2 ¼ CUPS SEA SALT

• 1 CUP WHITE SUGAR                  

• 2 CUPS JALAPENOS                      ( 1 Quart jar for peppers and juice from store)

• 2 CUPS JALAPENO JUICE                                   “cheaper by the gallon”          

• 2 TBSP. RED PEPPER FLAKES       (Boil ingredients only, no bird)
BRING TO A BOIL, THEN APPROXIAMTLY COOL TO 70*-80*.  FRIDGE, OUTSIDE ETC.

THEN SUBMERGE WHOLE BIRD IN POT/BUCKET FOR DETERMINED AMOUNT OF TIME BELOW.

AFTER BRINE TIME, YOU NOW WANT TO DISCARD ALL PEPPERS AND RINSE BIRD.

INJECT RAW BIRD WITH APPLE JUICE, MOUNTAIN DEW, SPRITE ETC. SODAS IF DESIRED; IT WILL HAVE JUICY MEAT EITHER WAY, COMPLETELY DRY OFF BIRD.

RUB OLIVE OIL ON BIRD THEN START/SET ON SMOKER, THROW BIRD ON  AT 200 – 225* {235* tops}

BIRD NEEDS TO COOK TO 165* or (160* wrap and set 10 minutes and it will cook to 165*) INTERNAL BREAST AND THIGH, DONE ABOUT 3-3 ½ HOURS (CHICKEN only with this time) - (TURKEY is as below)      –works every time with charcoal smoker…

***THIS IS NOT SPICY BUT HAS LOTS OF FLAVOR***

EXAMPLE: MY 13.47 LB. BIRD (7A.M. – 2P.M.)   6 HOURS AND 45 MINUTES AT 250*

BRINE WAS 26.94 hours                             Turkey times on smoker              Cold grill to finish

According to whatscookingamerica.net

BRINE TIME; -DOUBLE THE HOURS PER POUNDS                                                          SMOKER TIME;

6lbs.-12 hours                                                         INTERNAL TEMPERATURE -    156* on grill, let set until 160*

12 lbs. – 24 hours                                                                                                           {235*- 30 minutes per pound

18 lbs. – 36 hours                                              PRIME GRILL TEMPERATURE…       {250* -25 minutes per pound

24 lbs. – 48 hours                                                                                                           {270* -20 minutes per pound

Trial and error to taste don’t get too salty it’s irreversible, reduce your brine time.

SMOKED TURKEY SCHEDULE EXAMPLE

**SHORTCUT** FOR COOLING DOWN, INSTEAD OF BOILING ALL THE WATER.

Boil 1 gallon water with other all other ingredients, mix remaining 1 gallon & 1 quart cold tap water. Cool down for an hour... Then submerge bird(s) ASAP without being too warm, stick in Refrigerator.   

*MAKE BRINE: 8:00 A.M. Saturday Morning                   

*BRINE TIME:   9:00 A.M. - 9:00 A.M….    (15LB. BIRD)............SATURDAY –thru- SUNDAY MORNING

+++PREP BIRD+++

*SMOKER TIME:   10:00 A.M. – 5:30 P.M. ………………………...SUNDAY (Cold to fully cooked) pull at 160*                 

*DINNER IS SERVED AT 6:00 P.M……………………………………..ENJOY!! J

*****DONE TOO EARLY?     -Maintain heat at 140* with a cordless or manual thermometer.

*Brine times can differ with our schedules and it is fine to pull Poultry out to drain, rinse and pat dry.

Then you need to wrap with plastic wrap, grocery bag or trash bag to keep the surface moist and back in the fridge so you can smoke/bake within a day or two.

-SMOKE FOR 3-4 HOURS AS DESIRED, SEALED WITH TIN FOIL (LITERAL BODY BAG FOR STEAM) AND ADD ½ CAN OF BEVERAGE NEARBY (SODA, BEER) AND FINISH COOKING WITH CORDLESS THERMOMETER.

-OR,

PUT IN ROAST PAN OR OVEN, SEALED WITH TIN FOIL AND NEARBY ½ CAN OF YOUR FAVORITE BEVERAGE.

YOU CAN SKIP THE SPICES AND HAVE THE SAME JUICY RESULTS!!!

I have this guide for brine.

-Rule of thumb is:   Brine twice the amount of time as weight of the poultry (whole).   It depends on depth of the meat tissue is that you are brining also. (breast is great, leg and wing can be a taste of salt but not over powering)

-example :  2lb. drum stick is 4 hours, even if you have a dozen sitting in a vat. also depends on how crowded your vat is. (move them around)

-depends on how much sea salt you use per gallon.

-above says 1/4 cup sea salt per quart/or 1 cup per gallon. (boiled/cooled for better dissolving)

Most times I make a brine the day before. try a family pack of chicken legs with this, to much, then cut back an hour brine time.

hope some of this jibber helps.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky