• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Turkey...brine or inject

smokaholic

Fire Starter
Joined Nov 18, 2009
Got short notice that I need to have a turkey for tomorrow. Not enough time to brine and cook and then have it ready. So would just injecting it with something homemade or store bought and let it sit for a couple hours ( I can do 4hrs without running out of time). Then smoke/cook to temp.

bamaboy

Meat Mopper
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 26, 2010
I have always injected my turkeys with great success.I do want to at least try brining some to see the difference.but i cannot find anything that is food safe to store it in!!!! I always use the cajun injector brand and usually the creole butter.the are all good,just don't do the spicy ones if you have any picky eaters(kids).hope this helps

smokaholic

Fire Starter
Joined Nov 18, 2009
I was totally going to use the creole butter, hear a lot of good things about it. How is it on the spicy scale though. Got some older folk who think ketchup is spicy.

flash

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Mar 30, 2007
 Never found the need to brine.

You've probably already bought a brined bird, more than likely. I just inject with different marinades. Mojo Crillio is a good one too.

bamaboy

Meat Mopper
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 26, 2010
The creole butter is very mild,my kids love it.what flavor did you go with?

eman

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 3, 2009
I usually use the creole butter but this year it's a new one. Jalapeno butter

injection. did 2 chickens w/ it yesterday and it is good

bamaboy

Meat Mopper
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 26, 2010
How was jalapeno,was it spicy at all.I love spicy but the wife doesnt

smokaholic

Fire Starter
Joined Nov 18, 2009
After a long discussion on how things cook and going over schedules gonna start tomorrow. The person I'm cooking for hadn't even bought a turkey yet. I love cooking but sometimes the hoops we jump through are crazy lol. So yeah I'm doing the creole butter don't care what they say. Sometimes you just have to pull the trigger. If I remember I will post updates and qview.

eman

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 3, 2009
How was jalapeno,was it spicy at all.I love spicy but the wife doesnt

It had the jalapeno flavor but wasn't spicy at all .

But remember , i'm from south Louisiana.

realtorterry

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 5, 2009
Is that jalapeño butter a store bought injectable?? Man it sounds delisious

mballi3011

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Mar 12, 2009

You can always brine a turkey for just a few hours if you want. I would suggest the injecting it thou. I have always injected the birds that I was going to fry. But I have never injected a bird that I was going to smoke.

meateater

Legendary Pitmaster
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2009
If you have the time do both. I like injecting with unsalted butter.

raptor700

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined May 20, 2010
Due to your time constraints your only option is to inject and let it smoke! But when you have time, Tips Slaughterhouse Brine is the way to go! Please remember us and post the Qview!

shamong9

Fire Starter
Joined Jul 9, 2010
Hi,

I am doing two turkeys tomorrow for a church group.  One will be brine and the other will be injected.  Group size will be around thirty people. I hope to have everyone try both and then vote on thier favorite.  In the past,  I have done the brine, and the house expert my wife loved it.  Deep fat fring the birds.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.