Trying to save time on chuck burnt ends

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Mark Adams

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 6, 2018
SC
I’m making some chuck roast burnt ends for the game Saturday (hook ‘em horns!). Since the game is at noon, I’m gonna cut the roast up first, smoke for an hour or so and then put them in a pan with some sauce and brown sugar to finish. My question is, since I won’t get the kind of slow fat render that I would from a full chuck roast, could I put slices of bacon on top to baste as I go? Will that allow enough smoke through?

I'd much rather do a Hot-n-Fast cook of the whole Chuck rather than cut it up from the git-go.
I know that that yields the same results as Low-n-Slow yet cuts a third or more of the time.
That or simply put'em in at 3-4am.

Wish I could offer more help on the method your thinking to try, but I don't have that 'Been There/Done That' t-shirt.
As for the bacon, I'd say pack the chunks close but not touching, and lay strips on the rows, they'll get plenty of smoke.
But I am curious about cooking CBEs like PBBEs.

Last edited:
I got the idea from so many doing pork belly burnt ends this way, I’m trying to avoid the super early cook making me too tired to enjoy the game

Haha, thanks chile, I’ll probably just end up biting the bullet and getting up early

You could cook it the day before and just refrigerator it. I guarantee it will taste even better on day 2 even reheated :)

I would just do the chucks the day before. Pull them add a little beef broth and reheat game day.
I usually smoke chucks 275-300

If you have an SV you could start it the day before and smoke it the day of the game.

Chris

Just put these guys on, cubed up chuck roast, rubbed with s&p, bacon on top for extra fatty goodness. Gonna smoke at 225ish for 2-3hrs then I’ll pan them up and add some butter, sauce and brown sugar, then a couple more hours of smoke. Hopefully these will be a close second to true burnt ends

Attachments

• B1438DB8-57FD-4F00-98D9-24AD7FF7D0D4.jpeg
    B1438DB8-57FD-4F00-98D9-24AD7FF7D0D4.jpeg
    92.3 KB · Views: 11
I wouldn’t recommend cubing them up first, it’s a lot harder to monitor the IT and they ended up overdone. Almost like jerky. Flavor was good but that didn’t make up for the toughness, haha.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky