Trying to find Tri Tip

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jordanb8810

Original poster
Sep 5, 2010
I've been trying to locate tri-tip steak for awhile now. At Publix this week they had a steak labeled "sirloin tip side steak" and "sirloin tip steak". I remember reading somewhere that the tri-tip steak was the underneath part of the sirloin, so I was curious if this was the right cut? If not, does anyone in the north Florida area know where to find some? I've searched Publix, Win-Dixie, Sams, and a few local markets. Thanks

Good luck Jordan I've never seen one in any store in FL or S. GA

Not everywhere carries them from what i hear. round here their in our sam's and grocery stores,guess we're lucky!!!
icon_mrgreen.gif

I haven't seen many in Atlanta.

Super H Mart has them infrequently.

Good luck and have fun!!

Craig

I was just on Costco.com and you can order a tri-tip and skirt steak combo. It's a little pricey but looks and sounds good. Meanwhile, I have a butcher who lives across the street and asked him to get me some tri-tips, which he said he would. So, perhaps if you ask your butcher or know a butcher he can get it for you. It's just not a cut of beef popular in a lot of areas.

I order all of mine from the local butcher. I have seen them at Costco from time to time. They were pretty small. Saves on trimming.

In Atlanta you can find Tri-tips at Trader Joes!  My daughter lives in Atlanta and when we visit we bring back three or four to Delray Beach, Fl.  I did see "sirloin tri tip" once at the local Publix but only one time.  The wife and I have started a write in campaign to Trader Joe's trying to get them to open stores in South Florida.  They would be a huge hit here.  I suspect that they would do well in other areas of Fl.

ItTalk to your butcher. It's a western states thing. There is only one on a cow, and there only 3-5# each. Most stores it gets grounded up for HB???

Rosie, I thought the same thing! What do the butchers do with this piece of meat? Now I have to find out. Every store I go in I'm going to tell them I am doing a survey...lol.

I hear ya, I used to live close to the tri-tip capital of California, Santa Maria, ...seeing all of the tri-tip posts here caused me to have a serious craving for one.

I checked out the site of the meat supplier in New Zealand for our super market, printed out their info and presented it to the butcher and asked him if he could order some, two months later they arrived, ...I have a case of tri-tips in my freezer.

I googled "Florida Meat Suppliers" and found numerous leads, I'm sure you could order a case, if they are wholesale only then you might ask your butcher where he buys his beef and search for his supplier and see if they have tri-tip and have him buy it for you, if his supplier doesn't sell tri-tip then you could suggest a supplier that does.  Once the public finds out how delicious and tender they are and how fast they cook on the grill, he will be thanking you for leading him to them.

I also googled Florida Cattleman's Association, you might contact them and ask about tri-tip.

I hope you find some and experience the Santa Maria style tri-tip,

Gene

I intend on getting to the bottom of this, it just doesn't make sense. Give me a couple of weeks and I'll report back. Meanwhile, there's got to be people on here that may have info, let's see.

You can ask for a quote on line, why don't you try it?  I was going to but they won't accept my country, ...try it you might be eating tri-tip sooner than you think.

Gene

icon_cool.gif

If you find a place let us othere Easterners know where ok.

Mark,

A meat supplier called Boar's Head First Coast Products is located at 2758 Dawn Rd, Jacksonville, 904-730-5007, let you fingers do the walking, ...tri-tip might just be a call away.

Gene

Well, today must be the day I should have played the lottery.

43279761_2011-02-04_21-40-03_767.jpg

Tonight I went to Publix after I got off work and lo and behold there it was! (And on sale?) The same Publix I've been going to and asking about tri-tip for over a year now. It was too late at night for the to talk to the butcher there, but I will try and get to the bottom of this ASAP and let everyone know. Hopefully it's not a one time thing only. Cross your fingers!

Unless cutting meat funny is going on in your area, the sirloin tip and the tri tip will not be the same.  The tri tip is cut from the bottom sirloin butt which is normaly separated into the tri tip, the ball tip and the flap.  If dealing with a real butcher, request NAMP/IMPS  BSB 185C OR 185D.  The 185C should be untrimmed which I prefer because I like a fat cap.  The 185D will be pretty closely trimmed.

Good luck and good smoking!

I will be happy to buy them at Restaurant Depot and dry ice ship them to anyone who wants me to do it for them. I am not sure of the costs but will be happy to look into it for you.

It would be an overnite shipment using Dry Ice in a small cooler.

Let me know if anyone wants me to look into costs for you

Well, today must be the day I should have played the lottery.

43279761_2011-02-04_21-40-03_767.jpg

Tonight I went to Publix after I got off work and lo and behold there it was! (And on sale?) The same Publix I've been going to and asking about tri-tip for over a year now. It was too late at night for the to talk to the butcher there, but I will try and get to the bottom of this ASAP and let everyone know. Hopefully it's not a one time thing only. Cross your fingers!

Congrats that's the first one I have seen from around here.

Fantastic, I'm sure you will like it, just a suggestion, don't follow the directions on the package, I cook mine 6-7 minutes per side over medium heat and pull it at 140°, tent it with foil and let it rest for 10 minutes, it's between rare and medium.

Enjoy.

Gene

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky