Trying my first duck

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Mikey_babaganoush

Original poster
Apr 5, 2018
Stony point
I'm having a small get together at my house next Friday, and I'm going to attempt smoking a whole duck. So far my plan is to score the outside, then marinate it in a mix of maple syrup and bourbon with a touch of pineapple juice, salt and pepper it, then smoke it with hickory to 165 IT

I'll come back and post pictures of the work in progress.

Any comments/suggestions/things to watch for from anyone? If I'm doing something wrong or missing some step please let me know.

I just love duck, but the only time I ever smoked on was in a Turducken.
It definitely kicked up the flavor & I would like to smoke one by itself.
One more smoke for the ToDo list!
Al

Ooooh I'm watching this one. I have no input for you though.
I think I'll add this one to my bucket list as well. I can get ducks at the grocery store but just never have. They have goose there as well but never thought to do one since I can just grab a turkey. Duck is a different ballgame though :)

Best of luck!

Ok I need pictures, and an update. Is it a wild duck or domestic, did u buy or raise, and did u brine it ?? If so in what for how long?? I'm thinking of raising some more duck's just for this. The rabbits have been awesome, but we like different fresh food.

Duck.
Why would Superman stop bullets just standing there,
but duck when the bad guy threw the empty gun at him?
Why? Why? Why?

I don't think I've had any duck in a million years....

Mikey B,

You never mentioned if the duck was a wild or domestic duck. I never smoked a domestic duck or goose but here is a recipe I have used in the past many times. I would imagine domestic fowl would work just as well.

I have smoked countless wild ducks and Canada Geese using this recipe and it is delicious.

Matinated and Smoked Wild Goose/Duck

Marinade:

2 C Soy Sauce
1 C Brown Sugar
2 t Black Pepper
2 t Garlic Power
1 t Cayenne Pepper
1/2 t Ginger
And enough water to cover the bird or breasts depending on what you are smoking and place marinated bird in the refrigerator.

I have another fabulous marinade using red wine if you desire. PM me if you want that one instead.

Marinate the bird for at least eight hours.

Smoke the goose/duck at 200˚to 225˚ for one to two hours until the internal temperature is 165˚- 170˚ F. Try not to let the bird smoke too long or it will dry out and the sugar from the marinade will scorch.

Enjoy,

John

Last edited:
Being that I live in Louisiana, I too cook a lot of wild ducks and geese. I have only cooked domestic ducks a couple times. the flavor is definitely milder. One rule though....it's either hot and fast and not past med. rare, or long and slow so the meat breaks down. Ducks are tough birds. The breast meat is dark and the flavor can be strong depending on food source. I actually prefer to grill whole birds rather than smoke them unless I am smoking ducks for soup or gumbo.
Here is a great recipe that gets rave reviews...

f50bac63.jpg

Another pic.
DSC01371_zps52b587c2.jpg

Orange Glazed BBQ'ed duck:
1. Pluck the entire duck remove guts, wings, and legs below the knuckle singe off hair.

2. Marinade duck in 1/4cup Soy Sauce, 1 TBSP minced Garlic, 1/8 cup brown sugar, and 1 cup Orange Juice over night. (ingredients per duck)

3. Take a small pot put it on the stove on a med/low heat add 1 cup orange marmalade jelly, 2 cups orange juice, 1/4 soy sauce, and 1/4 cup brown sugar. Reduce until it coats the back of a spoon.

4. Light your BBQ with Indirect heat meaning your heat should be to one side or the other, your ducks will not be directly over the fire.

5. Stuff your ducks with what ever oranges are in season. Place ducks on the BBQ add your favorite smoke and keep an eye on them, with all the sugar they will burn if you don't watch them. Baste with the Sauce you made in your pot. It should take depending on your fire, anywhere from 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours. When it's done chow down.

Note: this recipe is for wild ducks, for a domestic duck the time will be longer. I cook to 140* and let the temp rise to 145* on wild duck. If you feel the need, cook domestic duck to 160*.

Reactions: mike5051
This is my starting point, run of the mill maple leaf farms domestic duck.

20180405_205349.jpg

I may have started this thread a bit early, being that I won't be cooking it for a week but I wanted to get some suggestions before I stated, and to start crafting a recipe of my own.

That was made by a friend of mine in Arkansas...It's the pit he uses at his hunting club. It'll hold a 100lb. split pig.

Ya know, I like Arkansas. They say if you get stopped in Arkansas, you don't get away without a ticket.
Well I did, and I did. State Trooper lit me up and pulled me over. I had a clearance light out on our RV.
He asked where we was headed. We told him Mom and Dad's in Goodletsville, Tennessee. He told me if I'd promise to fix that clearance light when we got there, he'd let us go on our way. I did, and he did.
Damn nice of him. You know, I could never swear to who he was. The only part I saw was his eyes, and a big hat.
That good old boy could barely see in the passenger window. (And our RV is a cab chassis.)
But his courtesy was 7 feet tall.
And he helped me come to like Arkansas. I reckon he took a look at some white haired guy driving his wife to Tennessee to visit her Daddy was worth lettin go on a promise.
Mom could hardly believe it. I guess in some ways, I just live right.

That is one hell of a Bar-B-Que, Sir. :D;)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky