Trying Jeff's Smoked Pulled Chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mneeley490

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 23, 2011
Everett, WA
Got Jeff's email yesterday, and it reminded me that I had 6-1/2 lbs. of Costco boneless/skinless thighs in the freezer. And that pulled chicken just looked to good to pass up.
https://www.smoking-meat.com/may-9-2013-smoked-pulled-chicken?awt_l=9ahU2&awt_m=Jw.gIO9ZpP9lWb

So after brining for 3 hours (I use a 2 gal. food-grade bucket that I got at a local grocery store), they were doused with mustard and rub.
20180520_153105.jpg

Then onto my GMG Daniel Boone. Using a blend of hickory, maple, cherry, and mesquite pellets. Smells heavenly!
20180520_155653.jpg

As there are skinless, I decided to get around the "toughening" part by adding a little more fat, in the guise of bacon quarters. They are up to 124° IT at the moment, and smelling pretty good.
20180520_160110.jpg

More later...

This could be a while. After almost 3-1/2 hours, the IT seemed too low. So I put my Maverick BBQ probe in the middle of the rack about an hour ago. Even though the GMG was set to 230°, it was registering only 189°. So obviously something is up with the GMG internal therm. I have bumped it up to where it is now 230° to 240° on my Maverick, and the thighs are starting to speed up cooking. Now at 145° IT.

Last edited:
Just did a temp check on all of them with a handheld digital therm. The ones on the right side are done, so I've removed them, and slid the rest over to that side. Hopefully, they'll be done soon. I thought I had that side-to-side problem worked out.

Reactions: bdskelly
20180520_192042.jpg

20180520_192018.jpg
This is the first batch. I separated the bacon, and they pulled pretty well. Had to get it out to a hungry family, so no pulled pics of the first batch, but I'll try harder with the second. It's coming out now...

Reactions: bdskelly
Okay, once I got the heat and placement worked out, things went fine.
20180520_195342.jpg

Taste test got the "OK".
20180520_194816.jpg

I decided to integrate a little of the bacon in with the chicken.
20180520_194741.jpg

20180520_200804.jpg

20180520_201147.jpg

So here's the verdict. I think I may have made an error or two. I had more chicken than in Jeff's original recipe, so I added more rub to the meat (perhaps too much). Along with that and the added bacon, this was a bit too salty for my taste. Next time, I will follow the recipe more closely.

Those look really good. I'd chomp down on a sammie or two.

Point for sure.

Chris.

Like! I loved pulled chicken sammies! I have made that a few times myself, i have never used bacon i will have to try Jeff's recipe for them. It works great for a crowd!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky