Pulled Pork for Dad

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

6GRILLZNTN

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 12, 2018
Murfreesboro, TN
So my Dad calls me Friday wanting some pulled pork which I haven't done since last year. He says he'll go to the grocery store and pick up whatever I need to make it. I tell him to grab a pork shoulder. Of course he calls me while I'm driving a 70,000# tri-axle Kenworth dumper down a narrow country road, and I forgot to be a little more specific about what to grab. Instead of a roughly 10#er bone in, he grabs a 3# picnic. Well $hit. In my defense, I was a little distracted. Sue me! On my way home, I grab the little feller, and go to work on it this morning. It did give me chance to try out a new rub from Horn Lake, MS which is close to where I lived when I was a youngster. Those of you from MS, JLeonard JLeonard , should check them out. So here we go.
IMG_1026.jpeg

The little bugger with the Horn Lake Memphis rub. Smells good.
IMG_1027.jpeg

Rub on, and waiting for the Smokey Mountain to come to temp.
IMG_1028.jpeg

Into the Weber with KBB, with Apple chunks. It was a little breezy so it took a while to get the vents dialed in, but finally got it settled at around 230 ish.
IMG_1030.jpeg

I didn't use enough charcoal, and the smoker was pretty much dead at around 6 hours. I had to throw it it the oven for the finish. Total time around 7 hours. Is it just me, or does this thing look like a burnt chicken?
IMG_1031.jpeg

After a foil rest, shredded it, and poured in some of Jeff's East Carolina finishing sauce, and into the fridge for an overnighter. Even though it came out to roughly 1.5#, it is tasty. I like this rub for sure. Just wish there was more Q. Still fun using the Smokey Mountain again. I love that thing.

Last edited:
I like little cuts sometimes. More bark. Does resemble a dismembered chicken body.

If that's a straight job no wonder the TN roads suck. We don't take our quads past 60K
We're allowed up to 74k anywhere in the state, unless it's a TN State job on the highway, and it's no more than 55k( or so they say). I scale out of the quarry at 72k ish all the time. A co-worker got scaled by the DOT last year hauling milled asphalt for a state job, and weighed close to 85k. The company doing the milling ate a large ticket on that one. And yes, our roads do SUCK!

As far as the Pork, the smaller cut was fun. I didn't have to devote 12+ hours to babysit the smoker, and I actually over did the bark a little. It was a a tad crispy, but I like that.

6GRILLZNTN 6GRILLZNTN good looking 'cue. Is that rub from Memphis BBQ Co? If so.....Melissa Cookston has won the Memphis in May comp several times. She has a restaurant in Horn Lake just off of I-55. Got some great food there. And she has a BBQ supply store in Southaven. Its one of my regular stops when I'm out loafering.
Now onto the highway thing.....My FIL leaves in Jackson, TN. Got a regular stop at rest area about halfway. You know, old bladder and etc. Anyway, There is a sign in the restroom..."NO WASHING FEET IN SINK". What the heck is up with that?

Jim

After a foil rest, shredded it, and poured in some of Jeff's East Carolina finishing sauce, and into the fridge for an overnighter. Even though it came out to roughly 1.5#, it is tasty.
Looks great. I have a newb question. Is that standard practice? shred, add finishing sauce and refrigerate for next day. The vineger doesn't make it mushy? I'm doing some pulled pork for a party next month. If I can do all that ahead, that would be awesome.

Mighty fine looking PP. I bet your father enjoyed it.

Point for sure
Chris

I don't think there is a standard practice when it comes to pulled pork. Lol! Shredding after a rest, adding the finish sauce, and serving works just fine in my book. I was making this for my lunches during the week, so that's how I did it. I guess technically, the overnight with the sauce helps the pork absorb the sauce, but I don't fret it to be honest. As far as making the pork ahead of time, pulled pork re-heats extremely well. I'll vac seal it in portions for the freezer, then boil in bag when I want some. Tastes just like the day I made it.

Reactions: DonP
6GRILLZNTN 6GRILLZNTN and Fueling Around Fueling Around you think those roads suck, come visit MN in the spring 🤣. See if you even have a suspension left after these roads. Ok back on point, that looks like a great pork. I would eat that all week at work, and only share with my buddies and the DOT guys. Yeah that's right I'm not above buttering them up some too.

Looks great. I have a newb question. Is that standard practice? shred, add finishing sauce and refrigerate for next day. The vineger doesn't make it mushy? I'm doing some pulled pork for a party next month. If I can do all that ahead, that would be awesome.
I never put any finishing sauce on my PP until it is either served or reheated to serve.
I also never mop my pork during the cook/smoke.
Pulled pork either from the fridge or freezer reheats very nice.
6GRILLZNTN 6GRILLZNTN and Fueling Around Fueling Around you think those roads suck, come visit MN in the spring 🤣. See if you even have a suspension left after these roads. Ok back on point, that looks like a great pork. I would eat that all week at work, and only share with my buddies and the DOT guys. Yeah that's right I'm not above buttering them up some too.
Yo bigfurmn bigfurmn
I work on a farm in NW MN. The asphalt gets beat to crap every July to October by the idiots overloading the trucks. County Engineer is a distant cousin in law and states they take 3 years of life out of the roads every year. I'm sure it is the same in the lower side of MN.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky