Trotter and Ham Hock Terrine

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

snorkelinggirl

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Nov 15, 2012
Hi everyone,

I hope that you are all doing well and enjoying our early winter weather!

I had a little time today for a cooking project, so I made a trotter and ham hock terrine following a recipe by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall of River Cottage cookbook fame.  If any of you are fans of nose-to-tail cooking and terrines, here are a couple of excellent recent posts by Moikel and noshrimp that you should really check out:

Moikel's ham hock terrine - http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/162557/ham-hock-terrine

noshrimp's oxtail terrine - http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/155551/oxtail-terrine-w-q-view

This project actually started a few weeks ago because one of the ingredients is cured unsmoked ham hock.  So that required curing some hocks (these are actually skin-on cross-cut shanks, but it is the same idea).

After 2 weeks in Pop's standard strength brine…Voila!  A 2 lb unsmoked cured ham hock ready to go!

This recipe also called for 2 split pig trotters, and a 1/2 lb section of fatty pork belly.  

Pack it all in tightly into a stock pot.

Add some aromatics: 2 small halved onions, 2 chopped carrots, 2 chopped celery stalk, 2 cloves peeled garlic, thyme, parsley stems, and bay leaves.   Add a large glass of white wine and cover with cold water.  Use just enough water to cover everything, but no more than that because you want the stock to have a high concentration of gelatin.  Don't add salt because the cured hock is already plenty salty!

Bring to a boil, skim the foam, lower to a simmer, and simmer for about 1 1/2 hours.  Remove the hock, and let everything else keep simmering.

Let the hock cool slightly, and chop the meat into small cubes (about 1 cm in size or 1/3")

After another 1 1/2 hours of simmering, remove the trotters and belly section.  

Use everything but the bone on the trotters: skin, tendons, meat, other weird pieces of connective tissue, whatever is soft enough to chew and swallow.  Chop all this up into small cubes.

Also remove the meat from the belly section and chop this up. Put all the chopped meat, skin, whatever, in a large bowl.

Now pour some of the stock through a paper towel-lined sieve (or cheesecloth lined, but don't use a kitchen towel unless you don't mind throwing it away) into a clean saucepan.  You won't need all the stock, I used about 6 or 8 cups worth.  Bring this to a boil and reduce it by at least half.  This will make the jelly that binds your terrine together.  To check if the stock has reduced enough, pour a little into a saucer and place this in your freezer for a few minutes to see if it gels.  

When the stock has reduced enough, add a spoonful or two of red currant or crab apple jelly to the stock and check the seasoning (salt and pepper).  If you reduced your stock enough, the jelly is probably optional.  You'll want the stock to be pretty well seasoned, because the terrine will be eaten cold so the flavor is muted.  Stir enough stock into your bowl of chopped animal parts to have it pretty wet but not drowning in stock.  Spoon this into a terrine mold or a loaf pan, or whatever you want.  

Cover the terrine with saran wrap and weigh it down with something.  I nested another loaf pan inside, and weighted it with cans.  If you used too much stock, it will become obvious at this point.
biggrin.gif
  This looks about right. 

Let this chill in the refrigerator for at least a few hours or overnight.  Then slice with a sharp knife and serve!

Here is a close-up cross sectional view.  You can see the cured hock, pork belly, skin, and other assorted bits all held together with the gelatin from the reduced stock.  

A couple of plated shots with some bitter greens and cherry mostarda that I made this summer using a recipe from "The Preservation Kitchen".  The cherry mostarda really complimented the terrine nicely.

Thanks for checking out my post!  Hope everyone has a great Sunday, and stay warm!

Clarissa

That looks really good. Kinda like a ham loaf with real meat?

That looks really good. Kinda like a ham loaf with real meat?
Hi Adam,

Thanks so much!  Nothing wrong with a ham loaf, either.  For whatever reason, I'm a big fan of meat pressed into blocks.  
biggrin.gif

Have a great day!
Clarissa
Looks very good Clarissa.... Nice job...
Thank you, Dave.  Hope you are staying warm and safe!  Pretty bad weather up in your neck of the woods, I understand.

Have a great Sunday!
Clarissa
Classic! Great job
Hi Dan!

It's so nice to see you around the forum again!  Thanks very much for stopping by, and thank you for the compliments!

Happy Sunday!
Clarissa

What a great project. The meat from the hock is a great tasting meat and your treatment of it is stellar. I bow to the Mistress of Meat!

Disco

What a great project. The meat from the hock is a great tasting meat and your treatment of it is stellar. I bow to the Mistress of Meat!

Disco
Hi Disco!

Thanks so much for reading my post, your compliments, and the points!!  Hock is a great cut, and both it and the trotters really do add some amazing flavor.  I hope both you and She Who Must Be Obeyed are keeping warm and enjoying the winter so far.

Take care!
Clarisa

Happy Holiday Season Clarissa!!!

You are such a rockstar with food that it's a treat and even better than TV to see your art forms!

Beautiful job!

You're just a master!!!!!

Happy Tuesday!!!

Cheers! - Leah

I love it. Great step by step.
Hugh FW has a following down here & there is a local version of his River Cottage show filmed on the South Coast of NSW.
Hocks are a wonderful cut ,getting a bit cold for meat & salad ?
Love the cherry mostarda.

Happy Holiday Season Clarissa!!!

You are such a rockstar with food that it's a treat and even better than TV to see your art forms!

Beautiful job!

You're just a master!!!!!

Happy Tuesday!!!

Cheers! - Leah
Hi Leah!

And a Happy Holiday Season right back at you!  I'm sure you have lots of celebrations and social events planned where delicious and beautiful food, good friends, and appropriately-paired vintages will be meeting up!  

Thank you so much for your extravagant compliments, and for the points!  I really appreciate you reading my post…sorry that I've been so sketchy on keeping up with everyone's cooking projects.  I hope you are having a great winter so far, and keeping safe and warm!

Take care,

Clarissa

xmas_snowman.gif
newyear.gif

It looks GREAT! as always it is written up very well with fantastic pictures.

points1.png

Happy smoken.

David
Hi David!

Thanks so much for reading my post, and for the compliments and points!  I hope you are having a great winter so far, with lots of cold smoking.  How much cheese have you smoked so far?  BTW, I was reviewing a thread on cheese smoking recently, and came across your mention of Vacuum Sealers Unlimited pint sized bags for vacuum sealing cheese.  I appreciate you mentioning these…I've got 100 of them on their way to me right now for smoked cheese for Christmas.  

Thanks again!
Clarissa 
I love it. Great step by step.
Hugh FW has a following down here & there is a local version of his River Cottage show filmed on the South Coast of NSW.
Hocks are a wonderful cut ,getting a bit cold for meat & salad ?
Love the cherry mostarda.
Hi Mick!

It's great to hear from you!  Yeah, I meant to make this terrine before the weather turned wet and cold, but didn't have time to get around to it.  However, even this time of year it is still tasty.  And my skin is all silky and smooth from the collagen, so not a bad way to start off the winter!  
kewl.gif

I love hocks, and use of lot of them in various bean dishes.  I just started a few more of them curing yesterday to make sure I have a supply of them for baked beans.  

That cherry mostarda was one of the best things I canned this summer….it goes great with both cured and roast meats.  You turned me on to it with mentioning mustard fruits in a few of your posts.  I haven't made or tracked down any mustard fruit yet…a future project.  

Thanks so much for stopping by, it is great hearing from you.  Hope you are having a great summer so far!

Take care,

Clarissa

Looks great!

Funny thing is, I grew up with something almost identical. My Lithuanian mother made what she called košeliena. I looked up some recipes, and they call for chicken, too, but Mom never had chicken in hers. Her ingredients and method were just about the same as yours, but she didn't press it, and I don't remember her curing the hocks. And we would serve it with salt, rye bread, vinegar, and vodka, and maybe onion.

When chilled, it was a rigid jello. Depending on who made it, there might be a lot of gristle. It usually didn't have trotters, probably only when there was a good deal on them.

Clarissa, I am so sorry tio be late here! This is my kinda food! We do the same thing here! We add a bit more onions and some tabasco and some pig ears.

I am gonna have to start calling ours a terrine, I bet more folks would try it with that name.... <chuckles>

Pop made these in little loaf pan trays that made 12 small loafs at a time. I bet they are out in the barn somewhere.

He doesn't want nothing to do with these dang (not his exact wording) computers, but I showed him and he said to tell ya good job on that too! He can almost taste it.

Fine write up and a great step by step. Love the end result.

Great write up as usual Clarissa!

points1.png
Hi Case!

Hey!  So nice to hear from you!  My husband was in Bend last weekend, and said that you guys got really dumped on in last week's storm.  I hope that you are all dug out by now, and that you and your family are all doing well.

Thank so much for the compliments and the points!  Take care, and thanks again!

Clarissa

BTW, I am still referring back to your bacon trifecta post from a couple of years ago.  I really hope you have time this winter to do a 2014-2015 version!  That post really should be a sticky….great info!

Looks great!

Funny thing is, I grew up with something almost identical. My Lithuanian mother made what she called košeliena. I looked up some recipes, and they call for chicken, too, but Mom never had chicken in hers. Her ingredients and method were just about the same as yours, but she didn't press it, and I don't remember her curing the hocks. And we would serve it with salt, rye bread, vinegar, and vodka, and maybe onion.

When chilled, it was a rigid jello. Depending on who made it, there might be a lot of gristle. It usually didn't have trotters, probably only when there was a good deal on them.
Hi Blue,

Thank you so much for your compliments.  I really enjoyed reading about your mother's koseliena….I'd love to see a post on that if you make it sometime.  Meat parts in jello!  With rye bread and vodka!  I love it!  

Thank you for reading my post, and have a great rest of your week,

Clarissa

Clarissa, I am so sorry tio be late here! This is my kinda food! We do the same thing here! We add a bit more onions and some tabasco and some pig ears.

I am gonna have to start calling ours a terrine, I bet more folks would try it with that name.... <chuckles>

Pop made these in little loaf pan trays that made 12 small loafs at a time. I bet they are out in the barn somewhere.

He doesn't want nothing to do with these dang (not his exact wording) computers, but I showed him and he said to tell ya good job on that too! He can almost taste it.

Fine write up and a great step by step. Love the end result.
Hey Kevin!

So great to hear from you!  It's funny how people are swayed by a name….whenever I make fatties and serve them to fancy people, I call them a smoked beef roulade.  That sounds all impressive and haute cuisine, and saves me from a lot of funny looks.  If you call your pressed blocks of meat bits a terrine, you'll get more takers, especially if you serve them on your good china!  LOL

I love pig ears!  Only two per pig, which is too bad.  Ears and snout are a couple of my favorite parts.  Well, shoot, a pig just doesn't have any bad parts, does it?  

I'm glad your dad approved….you and your dad are my kind of men!  
biggrin.gif
  Thanks so much for stopping by and the points!

Take care,

Clarissa
That meal looks just awesome Clarissa, very nice thread !
beercheer.gif

points1.png
Hi Justin!

Thank you so much!!  I really appreciate you stopping by, and the points!  Hope that you and yours are all well.  Looks like you've been having a great time with your grinder and stuffer….I'm looking forward to seeing more of your sausage posts!  

Thanks again and take care!
Clarissa

Great job!! I am a HUGE fan of the nose to tail cooking. I am a fan of Fergus Henderson among others. I was also lucky enough to have an entire quarter in culinary school dedicated to charcuterie and loved making the different terrines, pates, galantines. Yours is absolutely lovely. I like to plated shots. I bet they tasted fantastic. So much love in to one dish!!

Looks beautiful Clarissa....perhaps a bit less jell and more meat I just might try a bite after 2-3 glasses of vino.....<grin>. Regardless, a great presentation and right up there with the likes of Julia Child. I was wondering if a coarse grind might benefit the nasty bits off the trotter? Just wondering, mind you. Funny, I was just thinking of a terrine the other day and here one is. The one I had in mind, that has stuck in my mind for years, is a vegetable one. At least 3 layers of color....carrot being one, cauliflower another and then a green...probably broccoli or perhaps use beets for a red layer. All layered in a loaf pan so when sliced each color is separate. Been on my mind for years after having seen it on a PBS show somewhere. Anyways....great job and enjoy your Thanksgiving.....Willie

Great job!! I am a HUGE fan of the nose to tail cooking. I am a fan of Fergus Henderson among others. I was also lucky enough to have an entire quarter in culinary school dedicated to charcuterie and loved making the different terrines, pates, galantines. Yours is absolutely lovely. I like to plated shots. I bet they tasted fantastic. So much love in to one dish!!
Hi Squirrel!

I didn't know that you were a culinary school graduate!  It's really neat that you were able to spend so much time on charcuterie during culinary school.  I've taken a few Saturday cooking classes here and there, but I'm just a amateur hack who is happy to turn out meat bits pressed into blocks that hold together when sliced.  Someday I aspire to make a galantine, but that day is probably a ways off!  I'm going to have to keep a closer eye out for charcuterie posts from you now!  

I really appreciate you stopping by and reading my post!  Thank you so much for the compliments, and a very Happy Thanksgiving to you!

Clarissa 

Looks beautiful Clarissa....perhaps a bit less jell and more meat I just might try a bite after 2-3 glasses of vino.....<grin>. Regardless, a great presentation and right up there with the likes of Julia Child. I was wondering if a coarse grind might benefit the nasty bits off the trotter? Just wondering, mind you. Funny, I was just thinking of a terrine the other day and here one is. The one I had in mind, that has stuck in my mind for years, is a vegetable one. At least 3 layers of color....carrot being one, cauliflower another and then a green...probably broccoli or perhaps use beets for a red layer. All layered in a loaf pan so when sliced each color is separate. Been on my mind for years after having seen it on a PBS show somewhere. Anyways....great job and enjoy your Thanksgiving.....Willie
Hi Bill!

So nice to see you stopping by!  And by the way, I really like your new picture, it's very flattering. 
thumb1.gif

I'm sure a coarse grind would work well for the trotters.  A lot of the stuff on the trotter is soft enough when warm (tendons and such), but does get kinda chewy and tough when cold.  Smaller pieces would no doubt help with that, while keeping the ham hock and belly meat in the bigger cubes for mouth feel and interest.  

I've seen recipes for the kind of vegetable terrine you are describing.  They are very pretty, and would look gorgeous on a holiday table.  I kinda figured that this one isn't your thing….if I couldn't interest you in my pickled beef tongue mousse, then "foot cheese" doesn't stand a chance.  (LOL)  

Thanks again for stopping by and reading my post!  I hope that you have a very Happy Thanksgiving and approaching holiday season!

Take care,

Clarissa

Hi Clarissa, Another fine thread, very nice and informative.  I absolutely love head cheese terrine of which can be found in the reefer almost anytime, I think it's the pickled gel I like the most.  Your terrine has my mouth watering now and we just finished dinner. May have to bother you on this one.

Put the plow on the truck today as things seem to be turning white around here.  Maybe it will scare the snow away.  Other than that things are fine.

Enjoy your T Day and thanks for the fine thread.

Tom

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky