Trials and tribulations of starting your own BBQ restaurant.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

I am going to build a smoke house and wondering if anyone has used a shed say from Costco or seacan

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

YAHOOOBBQ

Original poster
Oct 31, 2018
Hello all my name Is Dave and I guess this is where I introduce myself. I Make Canada my home now and live in British Columbia a place they call Penticton. A wonderful place to live. Between two good size lakes and climate is high desert so it gets hot as hell in the summer. I operate about 6 months of the year. I have had a restaurant and BBQ at a marina and have seating for about 160 with seating for half on the patio right on the lake. Sounds like I hit the jackpot and the only way I could fail is if my food was horrendous and tasted absolutely disgusting I assure you that is not the case. I have 5 stars on my Facebook page and about 160 followers. That’s not bad considering the controversy surrounding the marina. Their was actually pickets and lawsuits against what the lease holders were trying to do and take park land and green space and turn into commercial zoning. Well shoot I sure stepped into it. I have been there for 2 1/2 years and managed to win over a lot people with our quality of food. I always believed that if you have great food and location customers would come. Well believe me that’s not always the case. We managed to make expenses and create a good name for ourselves but it’s time to find a new location as I haven’t been able to afford a food truck or trailer so it’s brick and mortar again next year. I have to say as well I think we did a lot af advertising with rack cards in all the hotels, a website yahooobbq.ca and a delivery service with national brand and tv exposure. I believed we couldn’t lose and this was the year we were going to make some money finally. Well the end of the summer and I feel like my pocket has been picked clean but I still have that passion and believe that next year we will kill it. Looking ahead and it’s why I have to make it. I am getting to dam old to go backwards and back to doing drywall again. I had a knee replacement last year and scheduled for the other one in December so this is one of the reasons for writing in finally and asking questions and opinions. I have another location that I believe again that is better if at all possible than the last one. No controversy surrounding it and have a lot of the requirements that the other location didn’t like a LIQUOR LICENSE for one. Beer and ribs go together like s#%t and flies and without it we no what will happen again so I have a lot of questions and even maybe some answers so I will be posting a lot to let ya all know how thing are going . I am looking for advice from some of you as I am sure there is probably another person going through a lot of the same s#%t so I will thank You all in advance.
Thank You Dave
YAHOOOBBQ

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Hank R and SonnyE
Sorry for your string of bad luck, but hopefully things get better in your new place. Anyways welcome to the site - glad to have ya join and looking forward to your progress.

Chris

Man, seems if you didn't have bad luck you wouldn't have any luck at all. Thinks will be better once you move.

Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to bits of wisdom that you can share with us and let us know if you have questions or problems that need to be solved.

Ya thank you my sisters and family wonder the same thing. That black cloud has to leave sometime.

Hey! I really like this guy! Makes me LOL with his 1st or 2nd post.
Tell it like it is!
Being in the restaurant business is a risky thing.
I know risk. I drag trailers around in L. A. traffic for location work for the Studios.
I'd rather have my job than yours.
Good luck with everything!
When peoples mouths are full, they can't complain.

I've used a LOT of things for smokers, but never a Costco shed.
But then, I've always stayed small. And private. And shy. And reclusive.
And yeah, I don't believe me either.:confused:

I posted the same question a while ago. Just as i thought other members thought too it wasn't a good idea due to fumes emanating from the shed material.

Hey! I really like this guy! Makes me LOL with his 1st or 2nd post.
Tell it like it is!
Being in the restaurant business is a risky thing.
I know risk. I drag trailers around in L. A. traffic for location work for the Studios.
I'd rather have my job than yours.
Good luck with everything!
When peoples mouths are full, they can't complain.

Instead of yahooobbq I should Of called it BOO WHO bbq it being Halloween and all that I also seemed to have sniveled a little bit as well.

Hello all my name Is Dave and I guess this is where I introduce myself. I Make Canada my home now and live in British Columbia a place they call Penticton. A wonderful place to live. Between two good size lakes and climate is high desert so it gets hot as hell in the summer. I operate about 6 months of the year. I have had a restaurant and BBQ at a marina and have seating for about 160 with seating for half on the patio right on the lake. Sounds like I hit the jackpot and the only way I could fail is if my food was horrendous and tasted absolutely disgusting I assure you that is not the case. I have 5 stars on my Facebook page and about 160 followers. That’s not bad considering the controversy surrounding the marina. Their was actually pickets and lawsuits against what the lease holders were trying to do and take park land and green space and turn into commercial zoning. Well shoot I sure stepped into it. I have been there for 2 1/2 years and managed to win over a lot people with our quality of food. I always believed that if you have great food and location customers would come. Well believe me that’s not always the case. We managed to make expenses and create a good name for ourselves but it’s time to find a new location as I haven’t been able to afford a food truck or trailer so it’s brick and mortar again next year. I have to say as well I think we did a lot af advertising with rack cards in all the hotels, a website yahooobbq.ca and a delivery service with national brand and tv exposure. I believed we couldn’t lose and this was the year we were going to make some money finally. Well the end of the summer and I feel like my pocket has been picked clean but I still have that passion and believe that next year we will kill it. Looking ahead and it’s why I have to make it. I am getting to dam old to go backwards and back to doing drywall again. I had a knee replacement last year and scheduled for the other one in December so this is one of the reasons for writing in finally and asking questions and opinions. I have another location that I believe again that is better if at all possible than the last one. No controversy surrounding it and have a lot of the requirements that the other location didn’t like a LIQUOR LICENSE for one. Beer and ribs go together like s#%t and flies and without it we no what will happen again so I have a lot of questions and even maybe some answers so I will be posting a lot to let ya all know how thing are going . I am looking for advice from some of you as I am sure there is probably another person going through a lot of the same s#%t so I will thank You all in advance.
Thank You Dave
YAHOOOBBQ

Hi there and welcome!
So out of curiosity would would be:
  • 5 suggestions/things you would make for someone to ADOPT according what works well for you?
  • 5 suggestions/things you would tell someone to AVOID according to your experience?

For example:
-Adopt serving bbq on butcher paper and trays vs using plates; to cut cost by X amount of dollars
-Adopt a daily lunch/dinner plate special for efficiency
-Avoid buying advertising of "this" type and focus more on advertising of "that" type
-Avoid going over X amount of sides you offer to avoid cooler space and logistic issues of "this" type

Thanks! :)

Reactions: YAHOOOBBQ
Good luck with the restaurant! I hope everything turns around for you. I’ve always thought it would be fulfilling to run/own an awesome bbq joint. I hope you find a way to make it work.

No matter how tough it may be to start a restaurant if you love what you do at least little worth it. The self satisfaction of hearing and getting the compliments nothing like it. I have done a lot of things in my life but cooking and doing great BBQ is something that will keep on doing and getting beat up until things turn around. I may never get rich at it but I can’t say I never gave it a shot.
Thanks Dave

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky