Tri tip steaks.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

freqseeker

Original poster
Mar 8, 2009
Puget Sound WA.
I have 3.5# of tri tip steaks (5 steaks) for the holiday weekend. I would like to use the MES to get some smoke into them and grill them on the Weber kettle.
I'm looking for suggestions. I plan on seasoning with kosher salt, course black pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder.

The question is sear them then smoke? Smoke then finish on the grill? What temp to smoke at and to what internal temp. I'm not sure of the smoker/grill order. What ever I decide to do I will try to post QView.

Thanks.

Vince.

I would smoke first to no more than 120' at 200' and sear only for a few min on each side on a hot grill, depending on the thickness.

If you want to sear it go right ahead it's up to you it's your piece of meat. Your eating it and if you want it seared sear it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky