Tri Tip Sous Vide Pastrami

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Braz

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 25, 2017
Indiana
We rarely see Tri Tip around here but a few weeks ago Aldi had pre packaged, seasoned Tri Tips on sale so I picked one up not knowing exactly what to do with it.

_DSC0107.JPG

Meathead's website has a recipe for sous vide brisket pastrami that interested me so I decided to give a variation of it a try using tri tip. The theory being that a long time in the sous vide bath would break down the connective tissue without the need to take the meat to 200*+ and then steaming it. Since the pre-packaged tri tip contained a "seasoning blend" I gave it a good two hour soak, changing the water once.

_DSC0109.JPG

After drying it off I mixed up a dry cure using Morton's Tender Quick, bagged it and let it cure in the refer for about two weeks. Once cured I rinsed it well, dried it uncovered in the refer overnight and then cold smoked it for around 5 hours using hickory pellets in the AMNPS. While it was smoking I mixed up the following rub:

4 T Coarse black pepper
2 T Coriander
1 t Mustard powder
1 T Brown sugar
1 T Paprika
2 t Garlic powder
2 t Onion powder.

After the night in the refer I coated it with a light coat of mustard and about half the rub. Then it got vacuum sealed and put into the sous vide bath at 133* for 16 hours.

_DSC0117.JPG

After an ice water bath cool down I took it out of the bag, dried it a bit, added some more of the rub and put it in the smoker set at 225* again with hickory pellets. I pulled it when the IT got to 145*, wrapped it and let it rest a couple hours before going back in the refer to await slicing. Here it is just out of the smoker.

_DSC0119.JPG

Sliced paper thin. We had a hard time finding the grain direction but in the end it really didn't matter.

_DSC0135.JPG

And, finally, pastrami sammies, on rye with swiss and cole slaw. And plenty left for the freezer. I think the sous vide bath probably makes for a more tender end product but since I have no prior tri tip experience it is hard for me to be certain. I'll do it again anyway.

_DSC0137.JPG

Looks great. Thanks for the recipe. I added tags to this thread. You can do that when posting

Looks like a fine tasting sammy Braz.

Point for sure
Chris

Great looking pastrami!
I have made pastrami with eye of round, but never tried it with a TT.
That sandwich looks delicious!
Al

Looks great. Thanks for the recipe. I added tags to this thread. You can do that when posting
Thanks. I was not even aware of the tag feature. I'll have to keep it in mind for the future.

Great looking pastrami!
I have made pastrami with eye of round, but never tried it with a TT.
That sandwich looks delicious!
Al
Thanks Al. We did an eye of round pastrami following your recipe a few months ago and liked it. The tri tip is definitely fattier than the round, but that's not a bad thing flavor wise.

Thanks Al. We did an eye of round pastrami following your recipe a few months ago and liked it. The tri tip is definitely fattier than the round, but that's not a bad thing flavor wise.

Absolutely not!
I would think the fattier cut would be much better for pastrami.
Just like a point is better for pastrami than a flat.
Al

That looks Awesome, Braz!!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear
Thanks Bear. I know how you like sammies:). I tried to pile some more meat on it but the food police intervened, as she usually does.

Mind blown! I will definitely be trying tri-tip pastrami now! That looks simply fantastic!

Ill bet those strips fried up would be outstanding beef bacon too!

Mind blown! I will definitely be trying tri-tip pastrami now! That looks simply fantastic!

Ill bet those strips fried up would be outstanding beef bacon too!

I think you got something there, Victim!!

Let us know Braz, unless you already ate it all !!! Gotta make Great Beef Bacon!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky