Tri-Tip Reverse Seared

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Preacher Man

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 28, 2018
Where The River Runs Through It
Started with an almost 3 lbs trimmed Tri-Tip from Albertson's.
IMG_20190503_084456.jpg

After a nice rinse and pat dry, I seasoned it with some of Wild Bill's rub.
IMG_20190503_084526.jpg

Wild Bill isn't a commercial rub, he's just the guy that everyone wishes to have as a friend. He's an older retired man who slays elk and slams fish by day, and cooks them to delicious perfection by night. He made this rub up for some elk he shot and shared it with me, but asked me to keep it under wraps. Out of respect (and hope that he will share more with me!), his rub recipe will remain unpublished.

After letting it sit in the fridge for 3 hours, I stuck it in my MES 30 at 200° with a tube full of mesquite pellets. I did it this low because I really like smoke flavor and wanted to give it more time in the smoke sauna.

At 120° I pulled it (it rose 1° on my by picture time).
IMG_20190503_171630.jpg

From there it went straight to a screaming hot grill for a nice sear. By the time it was all said and done, the IT was 135°.
IMG_20190503_190657-EFFECTS.jpg

These really are ridiculously simple to cook and make a great way to feed the family and friends, especially when you find them for $4 per pound.
IMG_20190503_191113.jpg

Slice to your desired thickness and enjoy the company around the dinner table.
IMG_20190503_191433.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good!

They’re hard to find here, although I called a butcher and they ordered a case for me, so there’s a few in my freezer.

I planned on doing one for Memorial Day weekend...you got me all excited now!

That looks great man. I cook beef like that all the time. Hard to beat. Although I wish we could get tri-tips around here. Apparently its not a big thing in the south because you cant find them anywhere.

Hell yeah!
Like!
Thanks Chile!
Looks good Preacher! I've been waiting for a sale in my area.
Thanks WaterRat! I find most of my sales by looking through the bargain bin where they are needing to get rid of meat in the next day or two.
Heck YES!!! Looks AMAZING!!!
Thanks! The look was not deceiving.
Nice smoke!! Wish I could find them that cheap.
Thanks!
That T.T. looks awesome.................great job to the cook!!!:emoji_punch:
Thanks! :emoji_right_facing_fist:
PM:emoji_ok_hand:

The choir is singing!
Must be singing "Heaven Came Down and Glory Filled My Soul" haha
Wow Preacher!!! That char is ridiculous!! I'll steal your line... Pound it:emoji_punch:
Boom!:emoji_right_facing_fist:
Awesome looking TT!
Wish we could get them that cheap down here!
Al
Thanks Al. What do they run in your parts?
Looks good!

They’re hard to find here, although I called a butcher and they ordered a case for me, so there’s a few in my freezer.

I planned on doing one for Memorial Day weekend...you got me all excited now!
THanks! Be sure and show us what you do.
That looks great man. I cook beef like that all the time. Hard to beat. Although I wish we could get tri-tips around here. Apparently its not a big thing in the south because you cant find them anywhere.
Thanks! I hear TT is a regional thing. I had never heard of them until I moved from Texas to Montana. That's really unfortunate because they're delicious.

Thanks Chile!

Thanks WaterRat! I find most of my sales by looking through the bargain bin where they are needing to get rid of meat in the next day or two.

Thanks! The look was not deceiving.

Thanks!

Thanks! :emoji_right_facing_fist:

Must be singing "Heaven Came Down and Glory Filled My Soul" haha

Boom!:emoji_right_facing_fist:

Thanks Al. What do they run in your parts?

THanks! Be sure and show us what you do.

Thanks! I hear TT is a regional thing. I had never heard of them until I moved from Texas to Montana. That's really unfortunate because they're delicious.

Thanks will do! I did one last year and posted. I’m jonesing to do another.

Right now, they’re $13.50lb at my local Wegmans....crazy

UT has the TT and its one mf my faves. I make'em same way you did - just a touch lower ending IT.
Yours looks KILLER!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky