Tri-tip on the Yoder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sven Svensson

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 5, 2021
Sonoma County, California
We got to host some old friends for the week and I thought a simple and easy meal on the Yoder would be a hit. So I reverse-seared a couple of Tri-tips to a perfect rare/medium rare. Made a small pot of baked/smoked brisket beans. I also made some Potatoes Fondant which were a huge hit along with the chopped veggie Greek salad. We washed it all down with some local Russian River Velvet Glow, which is phenomenal, and some great local Dry Creek wines.

It was my first time using the grill grates over the open flame on the Yoder. They work nicely but I have a huge mess to clean up.

I also grilled some ripe pineapple which was super tasty but I think it would have been better over hot charcoal as the Yoder worked more like a convection oven. They raved about it but I know I can do better next time.

E35F3C87-616A-47DF-B65B-1496E0D1377E.jpeg

384C99BB-F6F9-45E5-AFB5-6C98A9F57A13.jpeg

97EF0EB5-9F25-48CB-ADFC-90CE63C6297C.jpeg

Fantastic looking plate!! Those potatoes look almost like scallops. I've only had tri-tip once and then it was only thanks to the generosity of a great forum member here. I wish that it was more readily available around me...

Reactions: Sven Svensson
Very nice meal all around Sven, heck you should have said something, cause I’d have been right over to help clean up!
I have the same Yoder and do have the sear grates also, but don’t use them for just the reason you stated. I got myself a 22” kettle for such work and pretty much use the Yoder for slow and low Now.

Beautiful meal Sven!! Ya just gotta love a tri tip and yours look perfect. What a special treat to share with your friends.
We got to host some old friends for the week
Great to hear Sven. We always love re-connecting with friends we've not seen for a while and/or just spending time with those special people every chance we get.
It was my first time using the grill grates over the open flame on the Yoder. They work nicely but I have a huge mess to clean up.
Those grates look exactly like the ones I got when I bought the Rec Tec. I was surprised at how easily they clean up though. I used mine the other day and just soak them in soapy water in the utility sink for a while and they come clean with little or no effort. You can also scrape off the big stuff and toss them in the dishwasher.

Robert

Sven you nailed it! Like someone else said each cook leaves us with an idea on how I could improve next time. It’s the drI’ve for food perfection.

Thanks all for the kind words.

SmokinEdge SmokinEdge tx smoker tx smoker Do you use a special wire brush on these grates? I see some online but some are not receiving good reviews. I did read someone uses crumpled aluminum foil. It does look to me like the grates have a non stick coating on them but I'm skeptical about it and it must just be the finish.

Do you use a special wire brush on these grates?
I don't use a metal brush on mine. Just a small plastic scrub brush then the abrasive side of a sponge if necessary. For some unfounded reason, using a wire brush on the sear grates just does not seem like a good idea to me. No idea why, it just doesn't. As noted though, I do soak them in soapy water and that goes a long way toward getting the crud off and making cleaning much easier. It really only takes a couple of minutes.

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky