"Tri tip" help.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigfurmn

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Feb 25, 2016
Farmington, MN
Cooked a few but got this one from a regular grocery store, rare around here. How the bleep do I cut this U shaped tri tip? Also decided to do this during a blizzard,
gotta love Minnesota. Help me out people!
20230222_173942.jpg
20230222_184641.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: JLeonard
I'm not the trip tip expert , but follow the grain around the turn . Cut across of course .
You can see I sliced across on the first half , then see how it changes direction at the turn ?
1677113752509.jpeg

Reactions: JLeonard
This is how it started out . You can see the grain direction on the surface .
1677113953475.jpeg

Start at the pointy end, slice across the pointy end, and when you reach "the turn" rotate your cuts 90-degrees.

The "pointy end" in chopsaw chopsaw 's photo is on the right, but it isn't so pointy.

Red is direction of grain - yellow is direction of slice

tri tip cut.jpg

Last edited:
I've never had one shaped like U before! This thing doesn't look like any I have done before. Note to everyone: don't take the $4 off tri tip that looks like a U.

bauchjw bauchjw ... thanks smart ass lol. Sounds like what I'd say. I just need to keep momma happy is all. It's about finished. Hopefully that couch is comfy.

• Haha
Reactions: bauchjw
If you think of the Tri-tip as a ”V” shape, then slice perpendicular to the point of the “V” this would be the bottom of the V with unopposed sides. I have good luck with this method as a general rule. You can piece the meat out to be exact on grain but this works fine for me and will create some long pieces, which we don’t mind.

Reactions: bigfurmn
When the roast is raw, and after you identify the location of your first cut, you can use a knife to make a 3/8" cut in the inside of the elbow area. During cooking, that cut will open a little bit leaving you an obvious "V". Super handy if you are cooking several tri-tips at once.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky