TRI-TIP AND BEANS IN THE SMOKE VAULT

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Central Florida (Sebring)
I was in Publix a few days ago & they had a bunch of Tri tips. They weren't cheap, but the meat guy said they will be carrying them from now on. I guess they have been getting a lot of requests for them. So I picked one up.

1.jpg

It needed no trimming, so I just put some Worsty & Montreal steak seasoning on it.

2.jpg

Then into a vac bag for a couple of days, in the fridge.

3.jpg

4.jpg

A couple of days later I got the old Smoke Vault ready.

5.jpg

Put a pan of beans in it & let them go for about 3 hours, then I put the TT on top of the beans to smoke.
When I put the TT on I switched to mesquite for the wood, had been using hickory & oak.

8.jpg

7.jpg

It only took about 45 minutes to get to 128, which is where I pulled it at. I let the beans cook a little longer.

9.jpg

Here they are, both done & ready to eat!

10.jpg

11.jpg

The TT was done perfectly for us & it was loaded with juice.

12.jpg

This was my plate for dinner, simple but delicious!

13.jpg

& yesterdays lunch, darn I forgot my pickle!

14.jpg

Well at $7.49 a pound this is something I will buy from time to time, but I just picked up a Prime brisket for $3.98 per pound. So for around here it really doesn't make much sense to pay that much for a TT. But it was very good & I probably will buy another one sometime soon.
Thanks for lookin' guys!!
Al

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 7
Looks good Al perfectly done! I have never done one they are pretty rare to find around here but one of these days might run across one. Your smoke vault looks about like mine...nice and seasoned!

Looks good Al perfectly done! I have never done one they are pretty rare to find around here but one of these days might run across one. Your smoke vault looks about like mine...nice and seasoned!
Looks perfect Al. I only find pre seasoned tri tip in my area occasionally. Same thing too, about 2 1/2 times the price of Prime brisket.
Al - that is perfection!!! Love everything about that cook!

Thank you!
It was a treat!
Al

Looks awesome. :emoji_cat:

Thank you JC!
I appreciate it!
Al

Nice meal Al was the TT tender? What little bit of TT I've had has been tuff.It was cooked the way I like my beef.

Warren

Thanks Warren!
Yea it was tender & juicy as could be. But you have to slice it thin across the grain like brisket.
Al
Beautiful looking dinner and sanny Al, I'd be real pleased to be sitting down to that. Like, RAY

Thanks Ray!
Appreciate it!
Al

Looks really good Al!! The only place that they are readily available to me charges $13.50/lb. It’s actually cheaper to order one online at that point.

like!

Reactions: SmokinAl
Thanks for the like Al it is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the reply don't know why what I had was tuff. I didn't cook it it was another person that also sliced it.

Warren

Looks great Al! I love tri-tip and lets be honest, there really is not a lot of great meat under $7.49/lb around here....at least something you could chuck on the grill hot and fast.

Looks really good Al!! The only place that they are readily available to me charges $13.50/lb. It’s actually cheaper to order one online at that point.

like!

That is crazy! You could get a filet mignon for cheaper than that!
Al

Thanks for the like Al it is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the reply don't know why what I had was tuff. I didn't cook it it was another person that also sliced it.

Warren

I think it may be the way it was sliced, cause sliced against the grain this one just melts in your mouth. I just had another sandwich as a quick snack after the gym!
And cold or hot it is really tender!
Al

Looks great Al! I love tri-tip and lets be honest, there really is not a lot of great meat under $7.49/lb around here....at least something you could chuck on the grill hot and fast.

You are right. It seems to be a supply & demand thing. I know guys who can't get brisket for under $7. a pound. And the Cali guys get TT's for $3-$4 a pound. Go figure.
Al

Reactions: clifish
I can get it here in NY at Restaurant depot all day long for $7.99/trimmed. That was also the price when I had a friend get them for me at 2 different Costco's in CA.. She did find untrimmed once there for $5.99.

Yup that's with all meat it seems like when I was younger they would almost give you the wings now look over $2 a lb.

Warren
I can get it here in NY at Restaurant depot all day long for $7.99/trimmed. That was also the price when I had a friend get them for me at 2 different Costco's in CA.. She did find untrimmed once there for $5.99.

Well I guess the price I paid wasn't that bad after all & it was a very delicious piece of beef!!
Al

Yes it is, I usually smoke several to 110 deg. Vac pack and when I want it (usually half at a time) I SV to 132 and do a quick reverse sear on the gasser.

Just did a TT Sunday. Like to hit mine with a reverse sear, personally.

Also, that next day TT sandwich is so money.

Looks great Al.
I think last TT I found around here was $7.69/ lb. Not again... The brisket here in the Midwest is ridiculous also. Very tough to find any good meat in central ND

Yes it is, I usually smoke several to 110 deg. Vac pack and when I want it (usually half at a time) I SV to 132 and do a quick reverse sear on the gasser.

That sounds like a great idea!
Thanks!
Al
Just did a TT Sunday. Like to hit mine with a reverse sear, personally.

Also, that next day TT sandwich is so money.

I was going to do the reverse sear, but it looked so good the way it was I was afraid I may overcook it. And your right that second day sammie is just about as good as it gets!!
Al

Looks great Al.
I think last TT I found around here was $7.69/ lb. Not again... The brisket here in the Midwest is ridiculous also. Very tough to find any good meat in central ND

That's too bad, for a while in Sebring where I moved from Ft. Lauderdale I had the same problem. In Ft.L you can get anything you want, but here it's all buy the internet, but as the County grows more stores are coming in here and a lot of people from the coast are moving inland & want to have the stores & products they had at the coast, so slowly it's changing for us here. I just want a Sam's club close by!
Al

Reactions: Winterrider
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky