Travelling and need your advise

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dingo007

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 17, 2014
Gypsy
Hi all,

The family and I are leaving next week on a 12 month round tour of the lower 48 in our RV.  So i wanted to throw it out there and ask you guys a couple of questions;

- We are leaving from SW Colorado and will head down through NM into Texas over the next month or so. Hit me with the MUST Go To smoke/BBQ joints.

- We will be covering all other states at some time so hit me with the same.

-Any events that an avid smoker should go to before returning to Australia?

-If anyone wants to get together BBQ or smoke some stuff, drink beer and tell lies ....I'm in.

If you know of any low cost/free spots to park a 36' Fifth Wheel and Truck it would sure help extend our finances. We are self contained.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Smoke on

Stephan

You need to take a Mini-WSM with you so you can smoke on the road!
That was the plan Case. I even bought the smokey Joe. Just ran out of time to get the rest of the parts and put it together. I'll try and build it on the road hopefully. Meanwhile I'm hoping I have enough room in the truck for the MES30. (I guess I could leave one of the kids behind!)

That's quite the road trip!
icon_eek.gif

lockharts in Dallas Texas. Best brisket I've ever had is from lockharts and it's not even close. Lockharts brisket makes me not want to eat brisket anywhere else because I know I'll be disappointed.

Arthur Bryant's in KC has fantastic ribs and pork. Place is legendary you should make sure to stop there.

Martins bbq and peg leg Porker in Nashville TN. Both ribs are fantastic and on the weekends martins uses whole hog for its pulled pork. Can't beat it.

Bad brads in Michigan is damn good to. Best ribs in the state.

While you're on your walkabout, Dingo, keep your eyes peeled for little "hole in the wall" places, especially in the south. The Mrs. and I were staying in Fayetteville TN for a wedding this summer, and while driving around killing time I noticed a sign in an old gravel lot on the edge of town that just said BBQ. This old boy had a converted race trailer he pulled around with his duelly. Brisket sandwich to die for! For $4.50.
Be safe in your travels, and welcome to The Colonies [emoji]128522[/emoji]

If you will do a search on line for "BBQ Trail" you will find a lot of states have a bbq trail that will help guide you. Good luck and stay safe.

Man, what a cool trip, Stephan...I'm envious!

3 BBQ joints in my state that I would recommend:

Wild Horse BBQ - couple miles south of I-40 in Sallisaw,OK.  Pretty average sides and sauces IMO, but their meats are worth the trip.

Van's Pig Stand - several locations in the Oklahoma City area (Shawnee and Norman).  Has been featured on Travel Channel.

JL's BBQ - Pryor, OK...IMO some of the best sauces and sides I've had (try the potato wedges and the BBQ beans)

I hope you and your family have a great experience seeing our country.

Red

That sounds like fun!

Beer: keep an eye out for local craft breweries, it's a fast-growing scene here. Same with hot sauces.

Edited to add: Walmart stores allow overnight RV parking.

Last edited:
Leatha's in Hattiesburg, MS

Crossroads Rib Shack in Tupelo, MS

Old Hickory Steakhouse in Columbus, MS cooks a fantastic steak. The first thing you see when you walk up is the pit masters cooking steaks over a charcoal pit.

Thanks everyone for the helpful replies....I'll be sure to check out the recommendations. I'm really looking forward to experiencing and learning the regional differences. And I'm sure to have many more questions as we move about.

Thanks Again and keep em coming.

When you make it out to the left coast... 

Gorilla BBQ in Pacifica, CA - Just south of SF on CA Highway 1 in the orange caboose

700-1000 lbs of meat a day, when it's gone, it's gone. Usually by 6:30-7:00pm daily

Aptos St. BBQ in Aptos, CA - Just south of Santa Cruz

This will be a tough one to get to driving a 5th wheel. Tiny streets and not much in the area to turn around.

Smokin' Pig BBQ in San Jose, CA - 4th St./Hwy 101

Get there early for the burnt ends, they run out quick, ABT's

Random free camping:

On the beach in Orrick, CA - north of Eureka/Arcata, CA on Hwy 101

Davenport, CA-north of Santa Cruz on Hwy 1 - overlooking the Pacific Ocean

Safe travels!!!
[h1]  [/h1]

Last edited:
Reactions: dingo007
Stephan,
if your from CO. then you already know to stay from Moe's BBG joints.

Smokey D's in Des Moines, Iowa  http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/168846/super-good-bbq-joints-along-i-80-from-mi-to-co
Read down to the last post. It IS the best!

When you hit Iowa, stop in Des Moines at Smokey D's BBQ.  Take the exit off I-80 for 2nd street (415) and Smokey D's is about a half block north of I-80.

It's the best I've ever had, including my own.  If they open a place with in 100 miles of me, I'll sell my smoker.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/smokey-ds-bbq-0235448.html

You have to put up with a minute or so of advertisement, but keep watching.

You'll be amazed at the walk to the bathrooms down a long hall.   Full of trophies  and plagues!

And their BBQ verifies it!

I so envy your trip.Have fun and enjoy together.

Last edited:
Man I'm jealous Dingo...that sounds like an awesome trip. Be sure to start a thread of your trip and all the places you visit. Also, if you're in Southern Michigan in late summer, you could link up with our annual gathering. Good luck and safe travels!

I agree with hilbilly's comment about Bad Brad's. Most consistent restaurant ribs anywhere. Great everytime. There's two locations, the shelby Township one is a bit bigger so shoot for that one if you decide to come.

Last edited:

Man, what a cool trip, Stephan...I'm envious!

3 BBQ joints in my state that I would recommend:

Wild Horse BBQ - couple miles south of I-40 in Sallisaw,OK.  Pretty average sides and sauces IMO, but their meats are worth the trip.

Van's Pig Stand - several locations in the Oklahoma City area (Shawnee and Norman).  Has been featured on Travel Channel.

JL's BBQ - Pryor, OK...IMO some of the best sauces and sides I've had (try the potato wedges and the BBQ beans)

I hope you and your family have a great experience seeing our country.

Red
Red, has JL's gotten better recently? I loved it when it was the shack next to the cattle auction but after they moved (sold) it was consistently bad. I probably haven't eaten there in 10 years because of it. The last time I was there the specials were greasy Eckrich little smokies swimming in sauce and Kraft Mac and Cheese. We didn't even stay to try it.

Dingo, when you get close to Oklahoma give a yell with your route. If you get close enough, which is pretty much anywhere in the east half of the state, I'd be glad to throw some smoked goodies your way.

As far as places to go in Oklahoma, Wild Horse doesn't get enough love. I wish I lived closer. We stop every time (3-4 times a year) we head to Talihina to see my wife's grandma and as Red said the sides are decent but the meat is serious. Van's is good stuff. Never had a bad meal there. Burn Co. BBQ in Tulsa is legit. If for some crazy reason you make it through Tahlequah then Fish's BBQ and Whiskey is the place to be. 

Red, has JL's gotten better recently? I loved it when it was the shack next to the cattle auction but after they moved (sold) it was consistently bad. I probably haven't eaten there in 10 years because of it. The last time I was there the specials were greasy Eckrich little smokies swimming in sauce and Kraft Mac and Cheese. We didn't even stay to try it.
Hey Smokes...

There's no question that JL's isn't what it used to be.  Their meats are very average at best, but IMO they still make the best BBQ beans I've ever had.  And I've always loved their BBQ sauces.  Both the hot and the mild sauces are great IMO...I've made special trips over there just to buy a pint or two of sauce for my own meats.  The beans and sauce recipes are still the same as back in the old days...they bought those recipes from the original owner, when ownership changed several years back.  I'm not much of a mac and cheese eater, so I've never tried that particular side, but I definitely recommend the above mentioned items.

Red

Last edited:
Awesome!

Thanks guys...I'll definitely start a thread for the trip.

Looks like we'll be heading out Tuesday next week!

If you know of any low cost/free spots to park a 36' Fifth Wheel and Truck it would sure help extend our finances. We are self contained.

--

I've heard people using Walmart parking lots to overnight RV's.  you'd need to check with the local store to see if they permit overnight parking

they wouldn't provide any services, other than parking and walking distance to resupply.

check here

http://www.walmartatlas.com/rv-parking-at-walmart/

and check the video at the bottom for some rules

Oregon is a bit shy of good BBQ joints, but if you pass through Portland there is a place called Pine Shed Ribs and BBQ that actually makes some good Q. It's about the only place I will pay for somebody else to BBQ the meat for me, they make their own sausage and bacon along with all the usual goodies.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky