Travelling and need your advise

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hey Smokes...

There's no question that JL's isn't what it used to be.  Their meats are very average at best, but IMO they still make the best BBQ beans I've ever had.  And I've always loved their BBQ sauces.  Both the hot and the mild sauces are great IMO...I've made special trips over there just to buy a pint or two of sauce for my own meats.  The beans and sauce recipes are still the same as back in the old days...they bought those recipes from the original owner, when ownership changed several years back.  I'm not much of a mac and cheese eater, so I've never tried that particular side, but I definitely recommend the above mentioned items.

Red
I'll have to give them another shot. I do remember they had good sauce. They used to have awesome mac and cheese which is why the Kraft disappointed me so badly.

All these Texas folk on here and not a whisper of some "must see'' spots .

You could start off in Amarillo to see the Big Tex Restaurant ,then Austin to catch Arron Franklin's place , and please don't forget San Antonio for tbe River and all it's fun . Don't miss taking a tour of all theMissions there , not bbq , but cool !

Have fun on your trip and send Q-view of your escapades and have Great time .

Then in the Down Under , educate us on the sites there !

Stan . .

Reactions: dingo007
All these Texas folk on here and not a whisper of some "must see'' spots .

You could start off in Amarillo to see the Big Tex Restaurant ,then Austin to catch Arron Franklin's place , and please don't forget San Antonio for tbe River and all it's fun . Don't miss taking a tour of all theMissions there , not bbq , but cool !

Have fun on your trip and send Q-view of your escapades and have Great time .

Then in the Down Under , educate us on the sites there !

Stan . .
Thanks Stan,

We're gonna be in San Antonio tomorrow for a few days...then down towards Houston/Gulf coast for xmas.

I'll be sure to check out your recommendations.

Keep us updated on your travel plans ahead of time and maybe more folks will chime in with places to eat. Not just bbq but places to try the local cuisine also. When I am on the road, I don't want to eat "tourist food", I like to eat where the locals eat.

Smoke it up.
William

Lot of beautiful things to see. If you end up in Jersey you should see if Warren Grove is still open. It is a weapons range where the Military flies A-10's.....least they used to. Nothing like seeing the A-10's Gatling Gun in the real world. Check out Dingmans bridge and State Park. Also should make the trip on NY97,absolutely beautiful country....or at least it used to be...

Haven't been there in a long time but Asbury Park can be interesting. Heard that some Columbian, perhaps it was a Cuban drug kingpin bought the boardwalk and reopened The Stone Pony, where Bruce Springsteen got his start. Lot of history in Jersey.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky