Trash can chicken, first run ever!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

northerner78

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 8, 2017
Wisconsin
Just finished my electric trash can. I got it to hold temps up to 350°. Leg quarters prepped and seasoned. Gonna start them at 275°. Just fabricated a drip pan/water pan. Apple wood chips.

Questions.. I'm using a small cast iron skillet for chips. How much do I add? A hand full? And should I replenish throughout the whole time?

Last edited:
A little handful for the first hour, 3 to 4 times maybe. Chicken cooks in 3 hours or so.. I would say 2 cups of chips total is a bunch.. so 4 x 1/2 cup. Maybe foil wrap chips with fork holes poked in it to see what happens once in the pan.

Last edited:
Yup mods finished. Wrapped it in a water heater blanket, fiberglass batting type. I have a small cast iron skillet with a small hand full of chips with foil and a few holes. Waiting for it to come up to temp. Taking awhile with a load of meat. Waiting game...

Last edited:
Reactions: Rings Я Us
You can put a couple charcoal in that cast iron pan if you wanted to ever get a few more degrees. It wouldn't hurt at all. Light a couple and use tongs to put them in. That's neat!

So it only took a couple hours. It's awesome!!! Nice and juicy and perfect smoke flavor. I'm so happy I would do backflips if I could. Thank you Marc, thank you Rings! Got some tater salad and some salad salad to go with it. Can't wait to do it again. Pork or beef ribs next time.

Last edited:
I don't know about cheaper but .59¢ a lb I buy chicken for . Except breast meat. $1.39 . Curious to hear how you managed the heat.. did it fluctuate a bunch with each adjustment ?

I had it loaded down. 5lbs of chicken, drip pan full of water, small cast iron skillet for chips with foil covered. I was getting high temps of 350 but with all everything in there I could only get it to 250°. Had the coil maxed and never needed to adjust. Kept a solid 250 the whole time.

Question... Even though I had a temp of 250° shouldn't it have taken longer than an hour and a half?

Chicken was done hey? Well, in an oven at 350 it would be over cooked in 90 minutes. I only cooked chicken in a smoker once and it was below 250.for a couple hours. .. so that's probably about right.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky