Traeger Century worth $500 other options?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fa1321tx

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 10, 2015
I bought a MES30 in December and now I use it 3-4 times a week so I am beginning to considering something bigger. I found a local guy selling a Traeger Century new in the box for $500 you think it is worth it? Also does anyone know if this has the same controller as the Elite series?

I am pretty sure I have looked at every option from Traeger, Char Griller, Rec Tec, GMG, Louisiana, Yoder the list goes on.

I really considered the Rec Tec mini but the small grill size is a concern and not being able to see a Rec Tec in person is a turn off.

I looked at a GMG this week and didn't feel the build quality was any better than Traeger in fact the lid seem flimsy and appeared like they put on a heavy handle to compensate weight.  I viewed the Louisiana 450 & 570 at my local Ace hardware both are very nice solid built but start close to $900. I am just not ready to make that big of a leap from $150 to $1000  I think $500 is my target price.

My family is small but I do enjoy smoking the occasional brisket. Traeger grills seem to be divided in two camps love or hate but I would think they would be a step up from the MES30 correct? 

I am not in a hurry and thanks in advance for you opinions and thoughts.        

I don't own or use a Traeger, but I'd say that's a good deal for 500. Seems like that grill retails for 799?

Red

While that sounds like a good price, assuming it has the digital controller.  In my opinion any price other than FREE is to much for a treager.  And yes I've owned 2 of them in the past. JUNK, just my .02

No iron in this fire...I talked to a Treager retailer...that was a smoking enthusiast first...and he sent me to Green Mountain Dealer...for what that is worth...

I'd buy the GMG Davey Crockett WiFi. I've seen the non-WiFi model and watched it cook a lot of great things, including a full packer brisket. At $400 I have it on my spring buy list to supplement my other cookers and give me the 12 volt option with portability.

I'd buy the GMG Davey Crockett WiFi. I've seen the non-WiFi model and watched it cook a lot of great things, including a full packer brisket. At $400 I have it on my spring buy list to supplement my other cookers and give me the 12 volt option with portability.
Isnt that one for tail gate parties? Do you think it is built to hold up as someones main grill?
How big was the packer? My MES30 will fit about a 10 pounder but its hard to find smaller packers.

I have the GMG Jim Bowie (big brother to the Daniel Boone).  Those lids may look flimsy but the are built tough.  When I was putting it all together, it tipped over and fell on the lid.  No damage except for a few scratches, which I just used some BBQ paint to cover them.

I have several friends with Traegers and I will just tell you they all hate them. Like the others said go with something else. Also I don't know if you would have a warranty being 2nd owner and you want a warranty, extended warranty with that manufacturer. Every one I know has had to basically rebuild their grills. Not only that but you have to add a supplementary smoking device to even smoke with one. 

I have the GMG Jim Bowie (big brother to the Daniel Boone).  Those lids may look flimsy but the are built tough.  When I was putting it all together, it tipped over and fell on the lid.  No damage except for a few scratches, which I just used some BBQ paint to cover them.

Thanks I am supposed to purchase Daniel Boone wifi tomorrow and pick it up Friday and thats been weighing on my mind, even after reading tons of positive post.

I have several friends with Traegers and I will just tell you they all hate them. Like the others said go with something else. Also I don't know if you would have a warranty being 2nd owner and you want a warranty, extended warranty with that manufacturer. Every one I know has had to basically rebuild their grills. Not only that but you have to add a supplementary smoking device to even smoke with one. 

Good point on the warranty the dealer offered me a GMG DB for $99 more so I am going for GMG.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky