tornado

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

johno

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 30, 2007
texas , queensland
just heard this morning on the radio you guys had a tornado over there ,
hope you people are all ok . mother nature can get terrible cranky some times cant shedo those things just come up out of nowhere or do you get some warning.
with our cyclones over here the weather guys track them and we normally get some warning to batten down the hatches.

There was alot of them, but one that took out 90-95% of a town of 14-1600 people was in Greensburg, Kansas. Home of the largest/deepest(?) hand dug well.

Here's a link to news info. http://www.ksn.com/

Last I heard, 9 people died. Nothing really left of the town. Houses, business, equipment, water tower, grain bins, gone......except for the grain elevator. Amazing stuff. WHEN they rebuild, it will be a brand new town.

I heard the tornado was 1.25 miles wide, F4 w/F5 the biggest. I really don't know why it wasn't considered an F5. Central KS, OK, NE have all been hit pretty hard this weekend.

Just saw this mornings weather and it look like the is a stretch of storms from Oklahoma to Nebraska. We do get warning for the storms, but tornados are too unpredictable for long term warnings. All they can warn about is the conditions favorable for a tornado to form. Even with the warnings, all we can do is run to the safest spot you own, (basement, storm cellar, interior room, ect...). It's not like a hurricane that is being watched for weeks before it has landfall.

Hurricanes can be just as unpredictable and turn at the last minute.....PLEASE believe me on that. One year ago I had 5.5 feet of saltwater/paint/solvent/feces/trash IN my house!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky