Top Sirloin suggestions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

iso

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Monroe, WA
Wife has requested BBQ beef for her birthday next weekend. So I found a 20# top sirloin today - nice fat cap & good marble.

Do I treat this the same way I do with pork butt? Mustard & rub - smoke up to 205F & let sit in a cooler for a few hours then shred at serving time? Same finishing sauce?

For BBQ sauce I plan on going with her favorite cherry and chipolete BBQ sauce.

I would not go that high for beef. My guess is 150 - 160 then wrap. You can rub if you want.

Maybe do a search for shredded beef for more tips.

Hope this helps, sorry it took so long for a reply.

Ron

I agree with RonP - top sirloin is a tough piece of meat that gets chewier as the internal temperatures get higher. If you want the meat on the rare side, smoke until internal temp reaches around 150, pull and rest for 30 min, and slice thin. I wouldn't leave it on the smoker past an internal temp of 165 as it will be tough and chewy, especially when heated up the next day for leftovers!
PDT_Armataz_01_28.gif

this might help.. there is not much info on this that I could find. and It would not be my 1st choice for a pulling meat. but it would be for a rotissire smoke. rubbing the cap with olive oil then sprinkling black pepper and some garlic pwdr letting set 20 min. then sprinkling kosher salt over cap then cooking till temp tells me it is rare. then letting set 15 minutes and sliceing thin.
RECIPES

Pulled Texas Beef Sandwiches With BBQ Sauce

Serves 10 to 12

Pulled Texas Beef Sandwiches

l2g_5084_Pulled-texas-BBQ-b.jpg

INGREDIENTS
  • 8lb Sirloins (Roast 3.62kg)
  • ¼ cup Olive Oil
  • Salt & Pepper (To Taste)
  • Long Submarine Sandwich Bread (Buns 6 - 12-Inch Long)
  • 15 cups Wood Chips (Apple)
Method
  1. Place 10 cups (2.5L) of wood chips into a bowl of cold water to soak for 1 hour. Reserve 5 cups(1250 ml) of dry wood chips.
  2. To build a smoke pouch, drain 2 cups (500ml) of the wet wood chips and squeeze excess water out.
  3. Spread wet wood chips on a large piece of aluminum foil.
  4. Place 1 cup (250ml) of dry wood chips on top and mix them together.
  5. Close the foil around the chips to make a sealed foil package.
  6. Use a fork to puncture holes in the top and bottom of the foil pack to allow the smoke to flow through and infuse the meat.
  7. Repeat 4 more times to make 5 smoke pouches.
  8. Prepare the barbecue for indirect grilling.
  9. Preheat the barbecue to 275ºF/140ºC.
  10. Pour some honey lager beer into the drip pan & place grill over pan.
  11. Place smoke pouch on the heated side of the grill, close lid, and wait for smoke.
  12. When smoke appears place beef on the indirect side of the grill.
  13. Close the lid and slow smoke the top sirloin over indirect heat, changing the smoke pouch when smoke disappears.
  14. Cook for 4 hours or until instant read thermometer reaches 125F for medium rare.
  15. Remove top sirloin from grill, place on platter, and loosely cover with foil. Allow to rest for about 20 minutes.
Cajun RubINGREDIENTS
  • 2 tablespoons Cayenne (30ml)
  • 1 tablespoon Mustard (15ml)
  • 2 teaspoons Thyme (10ml)
  • 1 tablespoon Chilli Powder (15ml)
  • 2 teaspoons Coriander (10ml)
  • 2 teaspoons Ancho Chilli
  • 1 tablespoon Salt (Kosher)
  • ½ tablespoon Pepper (7.5ml)
  • 2 bottles Honey (Lager)
Method
  1. In a bowl mix together cayenne, mustard, coriander, chili powder, thyme, coriander, cumin, ancho chili, salt and pepper. Rub all over the beef.
SauceINGREDIENTS
  • 3 tablespoons Unsalted Butter (45ml)
  • ½ cup Minced Yellow Onion (125ml)
  • 3 cups Chopped Tomatoes (750ml)
  • ½ cup Firmly Packed Light Brown Sugar (125ml)
  • ¼ cup Yellow Mustard (60ml)
  • ½ cup Cider Vineger (125ml)
  • 3 teaspoons Worcestershire Sauce (15ml)
  • 2 teaspoons Tabasco (10ml)
Method
  1. To make sauce: In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, melt the butter, add the onion, and cook the onion, stirring occasionally, until translucent, 4 to 5 minutes.
  2. Add the rest of the sauce ingredients and bring to a boil.
  3. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes more.
  4. Set aside and allow to cool to room temperature.
  5. Slice rested beef thinly.
  6. Cut really big submarine sandwich bun sliced lengthwise.
  7. Lay lettuce leaves on the bun to cover.
  8. Spoon on beef. Wrap tightly.
  9. Cut it into 8-inch piece sandwiches.

Hi, I have lurked and watched for quite awhile, looking for ansewers to a lot of questions with regard to different things and how to smoke them. I have a Weber Bullet Smoker I have used for5 years and it is time to explor something different. One of the things I have had enormus success with is a top round roast in the 8 to 10 pound catagory.
I inject a marinade ( don't get nervous) I will give anyone the recipe who requests it. It is the original Dr Chicken Jim Minion recipe for top sirloin.
Smoke at 250 to 275 until done. I go to 130 then slice on a slicer. Filet Mignon cannot compete

I'd cut it in half or quarter it, think you would get better flavor and results instead of cooking one 20# piece. Soak it overnight in marinade, but first inject a good amount marinade into it. Will help to tenderize. You could give it nice sear and smoke it at 225° until the internal temp gets to 140°. Wrap it in foil for an hour before slicing it. Slice it thin and against the grain, wipe down the slices with your fav sauce
icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the tips and recipe. Can't say I was happy with it but a few more people want to move in to my house and are blaming me for their weight gain.

I ended up cutting in half length wise and scoring the fat cap. Trimmed off the sinew that I could find. Injected both halves with a quickie marinade of basically teriyaki, steak sauce, worcestshire sauce. Let sit overnight, then rubbed down with Jeff's Rib Rub and sit for a few hours.

One half went into the smoker.
The other half started out on the spit. But the grills rot motor had a hard time with the meat. So I pulled it off the spit and seared it on the grill. Then grilled on very low heat until the smoker opened up. Then it went into the smoker as well.

At midnight the wife decided that she wanted pulled pork as well. So off to the store to find a pork shoulder. Safeway is running a sale this weekend. Nothing special here. Crosscut score through the fat cap, spicy dijon mustard, & more rub. Into the smoker.

Ended up slicing the beef up in really thin strips across the grain. Came out with a really sweet smoke ring. Interesting on beef that cherry wood leaves a really distinct red smoke ring. Add some cherry BBQ sauce and it made for some good eats.

The second beef cut came out okay as well. Had enough here that I ran several chunks through the food proc to make a ground BBQ beef spread with some cherry-honey BBQ sauce. I like using the spread to make a BBQ appetizer made of chips, dap of sauce, spread, and top with cheese.

Got the pork shoulder up to 170 then finished off in the oven last night. Wrapped and stowed in a cooler. It was still warm for tonight's supper. Pulled with some finishing sauce.

Overall I was not impressed with the beef top sirloin. Once cut it dried out very quickly. It was not as tough or chewy as I expected but it did not have much flavor despite the marinade & rub. This is not the first cut of beef I have smoked that ended up with little flavor. Not sure if this is indicative of beef specifically or I am missing something.

Anyway, some happy guests got to take home take home leftovers.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky