Top Shot BBQ / Show piece rig-competion-SMF build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

top shot bbq

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 31, 2013
Murfreesboro Tennessee
Ok guys we have to build a trailer rig for ourselves, something I won't sell.. lol. I thought it would be fun to get you guys involved with the design and features of this build. We will be competing on the KCBS circuit this coming year so keep that in mind. Of coarse we want to showoff what we can do but still stay practical. This needs to be an open trailer design tandem axle, not going to purchase an enclosed trailer at this time, so a roof system with fold out awnings or rollout awnings will be needed. Our company colors are red/black. Rig needs to be as self contained as possible. I have picked up a set of wheels I will be using for this trailer. So let the fun begin !! This project will move pretty fast as a build due to the season just around the corner. But customer smokers will trump ours in the schedule. We have been entertaining the thought of a themed trailer kinda military, spec-ops as it would go well with our company name. We currently have half of a 250 gal tank sitting around, and 110 gallon bomber tank. pics below

Jason

Last edited:
I'm in!  I've got a 300 gallon tank laying around that we are going to build at some point.  Besides my wife having our first bun in the oven, I've got a basement and a shed to finish, along with the smoker.  Gonna be a busy 3 months!

Ohhh and max size of trailer  will be 20 foot over all length and outside wheel to wheel 96 inches. I'll be building the trailer so anything in between those max measurements is cool

Jason

Looking forward to seeing the build

Gary

I'll be watching to see how this comes together
popcorn.gif

Some camo would be cool.. Hard to do in red /black. I've got a few ammo cans was thinking about using them for waterproof storage.

Im in, let the sparks fly

R

What if you did a perforated cylinder, that rotated, the meat hung on racks and rotated with it. Heat entered from the side, as in a normal smoker. The heat would transfer into the steel of the perforated cylinder and radiant heat from the cylinder would cook the food. Smoke would exit along the top though the holes in the cylinder. The top would be fairly open to allow the smoke to exit with out building up inside the glass, keeping the glass transparent. The meat would be rotating along with the cylinder, so it would get equal amounts of smoke/heat.

I'm not saying its the best or even that good of an ideal, I was just playing, but challenge me to design something, and well, I will

A clear smoker would be awesome!  I wonder how well you could get it to hold heat though!
If you double paned it with a 1" air gap between the panes it would probably work really well, but it would be fragile and very $$ to get a good quality thermal glass. Better to just put a big double pained window in the door if you want to look in.

The clear smoker would be just plan neat.  That's my vote.  Everyone here seems to have the ins and outs of it figured out for you already!  Heck, it'd probably be the most unique smoker around and a GREAT way to make a name for yourself!

A  few concerns would be, this is on a trailer so...... bouncing around for hundreds of miles, as much as I hate to think of it Vandalism, and lastly not 100% sure I want people to see inside a competition smoker....lol

Viewing ports If I went the glass window I could scavenge some oven glass, wonder how hard it would be to keep it clean obviously it would have to be cleaned between cooks.

I have some ammo cans also.

Whats the thoughts of the military theme idea? to cheesy? I like where the ideas are going guys.

Sinks, pumps, lighting, storage, roof.... all things that need addressing! It needs to be more than just a smoker on a trailer.

Jason

I know I seen a guy at the State Fair a few years ago that had a set up he was doing pork butts on, It was just four long splits that held about eight butts a piece, and he was doing them over sort of an open pit. It was a nice clean rig, fairly simple, but it was the visual effect of being able to see all that pork cooking that had people lined up to eat at his place over all of the rest. If you could put something together that helped your customers get more customers , then you would really be off and running!   No body is really doing anything like that !  Imagine a food truck with a huge window on the side where you see butts and chickens and sausage just turning and cooking and dripping away!

Just something to think about.

Kind of like the chicken rotisserie at the grocery store, but with smoke. I like watching the birds go round and round while cooking, Neat idea. Perhaps you could also have a pull down cover to enclose the glass when you don't want people to see or keep vandals from breaking the glass, just thinking out loud.

Gary

Kind of like the chicken rotisserie at the grocery store, but with smoke. I like watching the birds go round and round while cooking, Neat idea. Perhaps you could also have a pull down cover to enclose the glass when you don't want people to see or keep vandals from breaking the glass, just thinking out loud.

Gary
now we are getting somewhere!! I like that

I know I seen a guy at the State Fair a few years ago that had a set up he was doing pork butts on, It was just four long splits that held about eight butts a piece, and he was doing them over sort of an open pit. It was a nice clean rig, fairly simple, but it was the visual effect of being able to see all that pork cooking that had people lined up to eat at his place over all of the rest. If you could put something together that helped your customers get more customers , then you would really be off and running!   No body is really doing anything like that !  Imagine a food truck with a huge window on the side where you see butts and chickens and sausage just turning and cooking and dripping away!

Just something to think about.
That is a great way of thinking RW, I guess my main worry is how to keep the glass clear to have that effect. air curtain was mentioned above but would that not effect the flow of heat and smoke?

I would most likely build this as an insulated smoker

and there is nothing to say we can't have more than one cooker on the rig.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky