• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Took my 2 Big Chiefs to the next level........

cmayna

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 23, 2012
........of awesomeness.

Drilled some holes through the smokers floor to allow more fresh air to the bottomside of the AMNPS's.

Now the heating element's only job is to heat the smoker while the AMNPS supplies the smoke.

Note: the smoker is on sticks to allow fresh air up to the bottom side.

Tapayakin' from my iphone

Last edited:

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2010
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....... Just had a FLASH..... some vegan group protesting the name of the smoker..... :head-wall: .......

It's way to early and not enough coffee.....

sb59

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Dec 27, 2013
Curious,Have you ever checked the internal operating temp of your smokers, both empty and full? I used to have a little chief and it ran at around 165-170 without chip pan and 180-190 with a full smoking pan. Wondering if your temps will be diff. when using AMNPS vs loaded chip pan?

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 4, 2012
Sounds like a great mod for the Big Chief! Wish a used one would pop up on Craigslist, around here.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 4, 2012
Don't know how much you want to spend, Gander Mtn. has them on sale $99.
If I bring home another smoker it has to be cheap! We have a local store here that has the big chief for $89. Goes on sale several times a year for $79.

cmayna

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 23, 2012

Curious,Have you ever checked the internal operating temp of your smokers, both empty and full? I used to have a little chief and it ran at around 165-170 without chip pan and 180-190 with a full smoking pan. Wondering if your temps will be diff. when using AMNPS vs loaded chip pan?
 Yes, when running with a chip tray, the chamber temp would drop each time I installed a new tray of chips. Once the chips got up to temp and started smoking, the chamber temp would go back up to the chamber temp I was running for that day.

When using a AMNPS which you would normally not remove, reload, etc,  there is nothing which cause the chamber temp to vary much at all, except when you initially install the meat or if you open the door.

snot00011

Smoke Blower
Joined Aug 5, 2013
Love these modifications you have done. I'm going to fish my Big Chief out and start right away in making the transformations.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.