Took my 2 Big Chiefs to the next level........

Discussion in 'Electric Smokers' started by cmayna, Feb 8, 2014.

1. cmayna

cmayna Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

........of awesomeness.

Drilled some holes through the smokers floor to allow more fresh air to the bottomside of the AMNPS's.

Now the heating element's only job is to heat the smoker while the AMNPS supplies the smoke.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note: the smoker is on sticks to allow fresh air up to the bottom side.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tapayakin' from my iphone

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  2. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....... Just had a FLASH..... some vegan group protesting the name of the smoker..... :head-wall: .......

It's way to early and not enough coffee.....

3. sb59

sb59 Smoking Fanatic

Curious,Have you ever checked the internal operating temp of your smokers, both empty and full? I used to have a little chief and it ran at around 165-170 without chip pan and 180-190 with a full smoking pan. Wondering if your temps will be diff. when using AMNPS vs loaded chip pan?

4. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Sounds like a great mod for the Big Chief! Wish a used one would pop up on Craigslist, around here.

5. sb59

sb59 Smoking Fanatic

Don't know how much you want to spend, Gander Mtn. has them on sale $99.

6. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

If I bring home another smoker it has to be cheap! We have a local store here that has the big chief for $89. Goes on sale several times a year for $79.

7. cmayna

cmayna Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Yes, when running with a chip tray, the chamber temp would drop each time I installed a new tray of chips. Once the chips got up to temp and started smoking, the chamber temp would go back up to the chamber temp I was running for that day.

When using a AMNPS which you would normally not remove, reload, etc,  there is nothing which cause the chamber temp to vary much at all, except when you initially install the meat or if you open the door.

8. snot00011

snot00011 Fire Starter

Love these modifications you have done. I'm going to fish my Big Chief out and start right away in making the transformations.