Today's Tri tip spinning with fat cap still on

Discussion in 'Beef' started by b-one, Sep 22, 2016.

1. b-one

b-one Smoking Guru OTBS Member

So I finally have gotten out of work at a decent time, started to clean up one of the bags of TT I bought a few weeks ago. Then I was thinking why not spin one with the fat cap still on? Well it's going on tonight! Hoping to still do the blackened TT this weekend. Here's a pic seasoned with Bad Byrons butt rub it's good stuff,smoke provided by pecan.

2. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Should be tasty! I tried a few with the fat cap and I never really thought it did anything except not allow you to season that side of the meat. So now I trim them all or buy the peeled ones.

3. b-one

That's my fear! Oh well.

4. b-one

Fat cap doing its job!

5. b-one

Time for a short rest.

6. b-one

I did trim a good portion off, I'll know soon which I prefer!

7. b-one

The char turned out quite tasty,but I will trim most of them maybe just do the fat when I get a fresh bag. Got a good smoke ring as well.Thumbs Up

8. b-one

Just thought that fat won't be to tasty as a cold sammie.

9. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Looks delicious B!

Nice  job!

Point!

Al

10. crankybuzzard

crankybuzzard Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Like you, I like the fat hot and crisp, but cold is a no go.

I like to trim them way down. Yours looks like it was really good though!

11. b-one

Thanks Al, I still really want to do a blackened one on the rotisserie I'll just give it a few bastes of butter should work just fine.

12. b-one

Thanks CB,it was tasty there wasn't a lot of fat left on it so it was tasty for the sammies luckily. But will keep cleaning them up if I'm wanting leftovers.

13. waterinholebrew

waterinholebrew Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Awesome TT smoke man ! If I can find one with a fat cap, I'll have to give er a try ! Tasty lookin meal !

14. b-one

Thanks WHB, it was a first try for me and it was a nice change of pace but mainly due to the rotisserie effect.

15. mike5051

mike5051 Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Nice Tri tip b-one!  [​IMG]   I've never seen one with a fat cap.  You got me wanting to find one now

Mike

16. tropics

tropics Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

b that looks great Points

Richie

17. b-one

Thanks Mike,good luck finding some I can luckily get them in bulk for a reasonable cost.:biggrin:

18. b-one

Thanks Richie,thanks for stopping bye! I still need to get my blackened rotisserie TT going maybe next week!

19. redheelerdog

redheelerdog Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Looks awesome b-one, some day I need to get one of the spinner thingers.

Nice!

20. b-one

Thanks John, the rotisserie is a fun add on! I bought a used Weber performer,added the Cajun bandit rotisserie and expansion ring then added a ribolator just for kicks the whole setup only cost as much as a new Weber performer.