Today's smoke - St. Louis Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

txflyguy

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 29, 2009
Followed the competition recipe found online. These may be the best ever...that's what the neighbors are saying! Have to agree, these are my best effort! Seasoned these with a spicy BBQ rub, then they stayed in the fridge for 12 hours. Smoked 5 hours with pecan, at 225 degrees. Then wrapped in foil, with butter, brown sugar, and honey. Plus 4 ounces of Coca-Cola in each foil packet. Cooked another 2 hours at 300 degrees. Then pulled them out, applied a vinegar BBQ sauce for glazing, then back on the grill for another 10 minutes. Nearly two days of work.
P1030373.JPG
P1030376.JPG
P1030378.JPG
P1030381.JPG

Thank you. Anyone can do it, just takes time and patience! Plus a good wife.
I actually copied the recipe from How To BBQ Right - Competition Ribs.

Reactions: Mffl84
Those look awesome! Planning to do my first racks next weekend and hope they turn out half as good as yours lol ok!

Last edited:
Yes, these were good St. Louis cut ribs from Costco. Very meaty, easy to work with. I did remove the membrane on two racks, but then noticed after the membrane was gone, the bones wanted to fall out.

They are pretty to look at! I like the color. That's why the photos were taken. Kent Rathbun's dry rub was used. It is very good, a bit spicy, and all natural with no MSG.

They look really good nice job! I noticed Costco baby backs have the membrane removed. Do u cook to temp or by feel? What smoker?

I cook by temp and time. 4 to 5 hours at an average of 225 degrees. The smoker is a custom built offset firebox Texas style smoker. Made from oil well pipe. It does a real nice job. I can squeeze about 6 racks in there. Or, 4 racks and two chuck roasts.
114_4926.JPG
114_4927.JPG

Nice that's puppy has a huge fb! Nice I've been cooking to internal temp is what I mean. But I'm guessing I'll get better in the future and cook by time and feel. What's the fire look like in it while running?are those handles for pushing it around next to the stack or serve another purpose ?

Reactions: txflyguy
Looks like it was well worth the two day effort. The finished product looks fantastic.

Point for sure

Chris

Nice that's puppy has a huge fb! Nice I've been cooking to internal temp is what I mean. But I'm guessing I'll get better in the future and cook by time and feel. What's the fire look like in it while running?are those handles for pushing it around next to the stack or serve another purpose ?

Thanks to everyone for the kind words. The smoker has gone through a couple mods. Added a much larger firebox, and a taller chimney for better drafting airflow. Plus, a couple days ago we added the new (red) heavy duty casters. She rolls around like a dream now. Wish we would have added a better handle on the end.

I try to keep a clean burning fire, with pure blue smoke. None of that thick "white stuff" that is a killer for good BBQ. Clean burning means a flame most of the time, and then pure coals that produce near smokeless heat and flavor.

Below the original version is pictured, along with a photo of a typical fire. Note the differences from the first version, and the current version.
IMG_0094.JPG
P1010132.JPG

Reactions: daricksta
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky