to skin or not to skin the chicken parts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
chorizodahitman, I guess I have to chime in on this one too. Pops is one of the most respected members on here and it was wrong of you to attack him at any level. When you see "trusted authority" under his name, that means he is one of the goto guys for just about anything. He has helped me many times & I'm sure most of the members here have been helped by him at one time or another. Lets face it this is not the healthiest hobby you could have and as far as poultry skin goes, I eat it sometimes. Sometimes I fry it in bacon grease, but I don't do it all the time. I'm 66 years old & luckily in very good health, but I was also a vegetarian for most of my life & I think that's what has saved me. Now I can abuse my body a little without too much consequence. Pops was merely showing in a very graphic way that unhealthy eating practices can have dire consequences. I'm sure he feels that if his post saves one person it was well worth the effort!

I was not trying to be disrespectful at all.  On other message boards stuff like that is not allowed and moderators usually delete the posts. I told Pops both times good luck with his health issues.  I'm not heartless, those pics were unexpected.  Just on here asking for help and appreciating all that everyone has given, even Pops.  So for anyone offended, my apologies.

I side with pops all day long on this issue He was not stealing this thread .You killed it when you were rude.He is a trusted authority and has a wealth of knowledge.Hopefully you didn't shoot yourself in the foot on this one.
goodluck.gif

Hey fellas...

Lets take easy on the new guy ok?

We have all made mistakes here and will prolly make a few more.

This place is here to help folks learn how to do what we do.

The two concerned parties have made apologies so lets give it a rest ...please..

Have a great day

Craig

...leaving it (^^^) alone...nuff said...

I go skinless and lean trimmed quite a bit lately. Getting crisp skin is not the easiest task, even though I've tried various methods, and I don't like having to fuss over something that should be so simple, so loosing the skin/fat works for me. The wife and I aren't getting any younger either, so healthier preparations when cooking is always on my mind. Showing our kids how to cook and eat healthy is one of best gifts we can give them, too.

Keep temps in check and your bird won't be dried out...165-168* in the breast and 170-173* in the thighs does a fine job. No red meat or pink juices near the thigh bone is one of my main concerns (looks do count in my house), and thighs are quite tollerable to go even higher temps if you choose to without getting dry. The breasts, now that's where you need to keep things wired tight if you want it to be juicy, but skinless won't effect it all.

You will have a slight bark on the meat, especially with dry rub containing salt (sometimes I marinade, no rub). This can be softened up with foiling for 30-40 minutes near the end. Personally, I like the texture of skinless with straight open grate smoking. One of the favorites around here regarding the lowly yard bird is boneless/skinless thighs smoked @ 205-210* to about 160* I/T with apple/pecan, then panned/foil tented until they reach 195-200*. This makes for some dandy pulled chicken, and I think everyone here who's had mine (including myself) prefers this over any other preparations and cooking methods for chicken, including chargrilled or smoked/seared, and we love about anything smoked/seared over charcoal.

BTW, (for non-electric smokers only) if you want to see what skinless can do for your smoke ring? Oh, yeah...you'll have it, if you want it. Skin/fat inhibit NO2 penetration (look at the meat under the fat-cap of a packer brisket after it's smoked), so without the skin/fat, the smoke ring and (incidentally) depth of smoke flavor in the meat can be top notch.

Never know 'til you try it...

Eric

I have been smoking skin on while working the rub heavily under the skin, and then I remove the skin before eating.  I have been toying heavily with the idea of doing no skin, especially looking at doing some boneless/skinless thighs in a muffin pan.  Keep us posted on the next smoke and your technique.

Hey fellas...

Lets take easy on the new guy ok? ok

We have all made mistakes here and will prolly make a few more. Yes

This place is here to help folks learn how to do what we do. Exactly

The two concerned parties have made apologies so lets give it a rest ...please.. You don't apologize for something you mean!

Have a great day

Craig

Actually, my foot was also affected as well as my hand, all the left side of my body with numbness and weakness causing me to limp more and not be able to turn my left foot facing center, more perpendicular to my right foot, not being able to recognize objects placed into my fingers, less than 20% strength to my right hand (remember, i'm left handed), can barely grip a pen (actually had to go to WM and buy special Sharpie Fine pens that require almost no downward pressure to be able to write, i cannot write any more with a ball point pen), plus I have use CoFlex stretchy bandaging to wrap around the pen barrel to make it thick enough to grip it, otherwise it falls out of my hand when i try to pick it up... just some more consequences from my dumb actions I'm desparately trying to keep y'all from having to experience.  Thank you for asking however!  i am also using a freeware typing program to be able to increase my typing ability to more than 8 wpm - this one post is taking me almost ½ hour to do - it's called NCH touch typing if you want to google it.

Aw hell, i could, i should just give up, keep my troubles to myself and not try to change the world.  But i love you all too much to keep my trap shut (sorry bawling like a baby, anothr sign of a stroke, way over the top emotionalism) and if i can keep even one person from having to go through losing their job and their respect and encounter all the problems and defecits by being rude and crass and expousing my problems to keep y'all from having them too, then it's worth it, isn't it?  If I am an official thread hijacker then so be it, it is what it is and i am what i am and again i apologize to everyone for it.

Last edited:
Pops, I don't know you personally and haven't been around here long enough to "know" you very well as a forum entity, however I am real active on other forums where the relationships, such as you have here, become very real and personal. 

Also, I'm a Hospice software analyst and husband of a Hospice nurse who supervises a home care team. Health issues and quality of life are very important to me.

Please don't "give up" or "keep my troubles to my self"...it's not healthy for you and the folks that care about you (dare I say love you) here on the forum would worry and we would all lose the benefit of your experience and wisdom.

OK, off my soap box. 

I apologize everyone, got too emotional, won't happen again.

Pops, I don't know you personally and haven't been around here long enough to "know" you very well as a forum entity, however I am real active on other forums where the relationships, such as you have here, become very real and personal. 

Also, I'm a Hospice software analyst and husband of a Hospice nurse who supervises a home care team. Health issues and quality of life are very important to me.

Please don't "give up" or "keep my troubles to my self"...it's not healthy for you and the folks that care about you (dare I say love you) here on the forum would worry and we would all lose the benefit of your experience and wisdom.

OK, off my soap box. 

Well pops I love reading all your post!!!

Now knowing how much work you have to go through to post on here makes it even more special !!!!

I have learn a lot from you on here.

Keep them coming, you got a fan here !!!!!!!!!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky