To sear or not to sear, that is the question.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
A picture is worth a thousand words... thanks my friend.

I've never seared a brisket but I certainly will try it. I wish I would have thought of it before I put this one on at about 4:30 am.
0e79d799_vbattach20153.jpg

Having just placed 17th outta 34 teams on brisket in my first ever comp. last weekend I've really been doing some research. This may be an older thread but I and fasinated and thankfull for the knowledge! Thank you I will try this method this weekend!!

So I stumbled on this thread. Very interesting read.....

So this kind of crazy ......... We had a guy that worked in the last location I was at. We do catering and banquets, a full gamete of styles of service. We had this guy who loved to run his mouth at how bad the other culinary team was and that he would take on anyone with cooking. We had a group that had brisket on the menu. Oh boy he went to town about how he was the best at brisket. So we let him make it. He worked on it for 3 day brining it and then doing the smoke. So I was just having fun with him at how long it was taking and said I could do a better job the day of and no smoker. He was to say the least upset. So I took and trimmed one down, seasoned it with a bit of my secret all purpose seasoning. Threw it on the grill and really gave it a good time on the grill. It was as black as my shoe. Sliced some onions threw them in the bottom of a 6" deep pan and put the black brisket on top. I then added some apple cider vinegar beer, a bit of store bought BBQ sauce and covered with plastic wrap and foil (the plastic wrap does not melt and keeps the foil from turning) and put it in a 350 degree oven for around 5 hrs.

We then got several people to do a blind taste test, not very hard to do in a hotel. FREE FOOD!!!!!!!

Needless to say the 6 ish hour brisket killed the 3 day brisket.

That was the first time I had ever cooked brisket and most likely will sear when I do more.

THIS IS WHY I LOVE THIS FORUM. - Every so often a thread stands out. (I, as a newby LEARN SO MUCH from threads like this one.) Briskets seem to be one of the more difficult accomplishments to achieve and this (methodology) seems to answer many of my questions. You can be assured that I will be giving a block party this Summer that is going to include this recipe/method/technique. I'll be sure to post a thread with pictures.
THANK YOU!!!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky