Tip's Marinade, Practice Turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

voldaddy

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 8, 2008
I have a "practice" turkey that I'm going to smoke this weekend.

I soaked it in Tip's brine for 26 hours, rinsed, and patted dry. This brine is delicious.

I have smoked several turkeys, but never injected one, so I thought I would give this one a try and see if I liked it.

I melted 2 TBS of butter, added to 2 cups of apple cider, then added the spices per the recipe.

I got a coagulated mess. The spices all clumped up...it wasn't pretty.

I took a whisk and beat it like it owed me money, but still didn't mix too well. I went ahead and injected the turkey with it.

Anyone else have this issue? I thought about using the blender and putting it on puree.

Next time, I think I'll add the spices to the cider, whisk, then add the butter.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

TIA.

This happened to me the first time I used Tip's, as well.  I now warm my apple juice or cider (depends on what I have in hand) and then add the butter, then the spices, wisk it a little then let it cool (if you get it too warm as I did the first time) then I inject.  This has worked for me many times, good luck.  I am doing a test turkey this weekend as well.

icon_cool.gif

I use Tip's brine for all my poultry that I'm going to smoke if I have time. Period, thats it, it's done, and that's what I like. "And that's the way it was this Nov 20, 2010" Thank you Walter Cronkite.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky