Tip for crispy bacon weave on fatties

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lowcountrygamecock

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
I haven't been on in a while but was looking for new fattie recipes for a Christmas cookout and saw several people mention the bacon not being done when the fattie reaches 165.  Here's a quick easy solution that I use for that problem.  Go to Lowes/Home Depot and get one of those hand held torches that go on the end of a small propane tank.  You can get the kit with the easy trigger, tank and all for 25 bucks or get the cheapo version for around 15 without the trigger.  Works great for last minute bacon crisping and a ton of other stuff around the house.

Great idea. I have a kitchen torch and use it for lots of stuff. You must be in South Carolina. I grew up there and was a Cock fan!

icon_cool.gif

Now thats a great idea for the torch thingy.

Gotta love those Cocks today. Hope they can deliver a beat down!

BTW - that torch idea is pretty cool. Thanks for sharing!

What a great idea!

In my quest for crisper bacon on my fatties I gone as far as trying precooked bacon. Works, but what a pain  

I haven't been on in a while but was looking for new fattie recipes for a Christmas cookout and saw several people mention the bacon not being done when the fattie reaches 165.  Here's a quick easy solution that I use for that problem.  Go to Lowes/Home Depot and get one of those hand held torches that go on the end of a small propane tank.  You can get the kit with the easy trigger, tank and all for 25 bucks or get the cheapo version for around 15 without the trigger.  Works great for last minute bacon crisping and a ton of other stuff around the house.

Just so you know, that question came up yesterday, and I think you have the best idea, so I copied & pasted your idea on that thread (I credited you with that brilliant idea).

Thanks,

Bear

Leave it to these folks.  I hadn't thought about the torch.  I par cook my bacon a bit for fatties and ABTs, then smoke it and it crisps up real nice.  More than one way to skin a cat my dad always said.

Good luck and good smoking!

I have also precooked some bacon in the microwave for a couple of minutes to ensure doneness - the torch works great too

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky