• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Tip for crispy bacon weave on fatties

lowcountrygamecock

Meat Mopper
Joined Feb 4, 2009
I haven't been on in a while but was looking for new fattie recipes for a Christmas cookout and saw several people mention the bacon not being done when the fattie reaches 165.  Here's a quick easy solution that I use for that problem.  Go to Lowes/Home Depot and get one of those hand held torches that go on the end of a small propane tank.  You can get the kit with the easy trigger, tank and all for 25 bucks or get the cheapo version for around 15 without the trigger.  Works great for last minute bacon crisping and a ton of other stuff around the house.

squirrel

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined May 7, 2010
Great idea. I have a kitchen torch and use it for lots of stuff. You must be in South Carolina. I grew up there and was a Cock fan!

BandCollector

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 4, 2009
This is why I love this sight...Great people with great ideas!

Thanks,  John

mballi3011

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Mar 12, 2009

Now thats a great idea for the torch thingy.

sumosmoke

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 29, 2007
Gotta love those Cocks today. Hope they can deliver a beat down!

BTW - that torch idea is pretty cool. Thanks for sharing!

arnie

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Feb 20, 2010
What a great idea!

In my quest for crisper bacon on my fatties I gone as far as trying precooked bacon. Works, but what a pain  

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
I haven't been on in a while but was looking for new fattie recipes for a Christmas cookout and saw several people mention the bacon not being done when the fattie reaches 165.  Here's a quick easy solution that I use for that problem.  Go to Lowes/Home Depot and get one of those hand held torches that go on the end of a small propane tank.  You can get the kit with the easy trigger, tank and all for 25 bucks or get the cheapo version for around 15 without the trigger.  Works great for last minute bacon crisping and a ton of other stuff around the house.

Just so you know, that question came up yesterday, and I think you have the best idea, so I copied & pasted your idea on that thread (I credited you with that brilliant idea).

Thanks,

Bear

cassman

Fire Starter
Joined Aug 2, 2010
This is a great idea and the best part is I already have the torch in my tool chest. Thanks for the idea.

coffee_junkie

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 17, 2009
I put mine in the oven on broil for about 10 minutes or so. It works great!

rdknb

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 23, 2010
Great idea, I use mine to lite my AMS never thought about crisping bacon

SmokinAl

Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Got one in the garage too. Thanks will give it a try.

venture

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Aug 1, 2008
Leave it to these folks.  I hadn't thought about the torch.  I par cook my bacon a bit for fatties and ABTs, then smoke it and it crisps up real nice.  More than one way to skin a cat my dad always said.

Good luck and good smoking!

scarbelly

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 26, 2009
I have also precooked some bacon in the microwave for a couple of minutes to ensure doneness - the torch works great too

johnvh

Fire Starter
Joined Dec 21, 2010
I just threw the fatty in a frying pan after cooking and crisped up the bacon a touch.

Bearcarver

OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
I still like the torch idea, by the author of this thread !

Bear

alaskanbear

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Apr 24, 2011
I have to agree with SmokingOhioButcher---certain words conger up certain idea's and at MY old age, thats all I gots LOLOLOL

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.