Timing - Debating on when to start the smoker...?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TSR6

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 20, 2018
Having a 1st birthday party for my kid this weekend. I'm just debating on the timing, as I don't have a full day off to do this like I normally do... and the last one I made sure it was done the day before and stocked with juices to re-heat the following day in a Crock Pot.

Party is on Saturday at noon. I work all day Friday, but my wife is off. I'm probably going to go the CostCo route - and it seems those are normally 6-7lbs (im buying them tonight) each x2, so I'll figure planning on 7lbs x 2.5hr / lbs @ 17.5 hours. 2 hours rest minimum.

Based on this estimating, I think ill be best to have my wife start the smoker for me while I am at work. Start the smoker around 11:30, meat in by noon. Figure it'll be done around 5am, right? Rest for a minimum of 2 hours, but lets say I wrap it up real nice and cooler it, maybe let it rest for 4hrs or so? This leaves me a little bit of cushion just in case.

Thoughts? :) Feedback?

Edit - Sorry, pork shoulder!! (planning on getting the dual packages they sell at Costco)

Last edited:
I have 2x 12 pounder pork shoulder going in a Sat AM. My smoke log says 2x 10 pounders, 10.5 hour cook time @225 internal temp ended at 195. I'm probably going to run them hot to cut the time down. What temp you cooking at?

I have 2x 12 pounder pork shoulder going in a Sat AM. My smoke log says 2x 10 pounders, 10.5 hour cook time @225 internal temp ended at 195. I'm probably going to run them hot to cut the time down. What temp you cooking at?

I'll be cooking them at 225, wrapping around 165 or so, and then cooking till they hit at least 190 up to 195.

I totally missed your timing on my first reply - That seems fast for 12lbs/ea though.... ?

I think ive always been in that 2+ hour per lbs range. I need to start keeping a dang log...

I think you will be completely fine if you cooler/towel it up to 4hrs. I can't help you on time b/c I've never smoked a butt that long but I use a stick burner and usually smoke in the 250-270 range.

Also, just something to keep in the back of your head. If you ever run in a jam with time when smoking butts, you could always pull at 175-180 IT and make chopped instead of pulled. I don't hear it mentioned very often b/c I think most people like pulled but I personally like chopped texture a little better.

I'll be cooking them at 225, wrapping around 165 or so, and then cooking till they hit at least 190 up to 195.
At 195 is when the alarm tells me to probe for tenderness with my instant read therm. Then it comes out when there's no resistence going all the way through.

Been running Butts at 225-250, 2 hours a pound, plus a 2 hour cushion. I take to 205 in Several places! I only rest 30 minutes on the counter, as the meat is falling apart tender. I pull and eat or refer for the next day or to travel. If you plan a 2-4 rest, you are Spot On, pulling off the smoker at 195°F. The Cooler Rest will finish the cook...JJ

I think you will be completely fine if you cooler/towel it up to 4hrs. I can't help you on time b/c I've never smoked a butt that long but I use a stick burner and usually smoke in the 250-270 range.

Also, just something to keep in the back of your head. If you ever run in a jam with time when smoking butts, you could always pull at 175-180 IT and make chopped instead of pulled. I don't hear it mentioned very often b/c I think most people like pulled but I personally like chopped texture a little better.

I have done an extended cooler stay before, this was on my last overnight smoke. I left the meat probes in (I use the Weber iGrill) to make sure they didn't drop below 165. They were wrapped in foil, and a towel.

I just wanted to make sure the timing that I worked out in my head seems at least close. :) I've cut it close on a couple smokes, and also had dinner at 9pm once - but I don't want to screw up my daughter's 1st birthday. Unfortunately my options are to start it at 6am on Friday and likely have to re-warm the meat, or aim for noon and keep it at food safe temps till 12-1pm on Saturday. I'd totally do this a full day ahead of time if this was an option.

Been running Butts at 225-250, 2 hours a pound, plus a 2 hour cushion. I take to 205 in Several places! I only rest 30 minutes on the counter, as the meat is falling apart tender. I pull and eat or refer for the next day or to travel. If you plan a 2-4 rest, you are Spot On, pulling off the smoker at 195°F. The Cooler Rest will finish the cook...JJ

I've always coolered mine - but im thinking if for any reason if it comes off early I can always put it in the oven to hold it at 200 for a couple hours too, then still cooler it for 2-4 hours, shred, and then after that it can go into the Crockpot.

I have done an extended cooler stay before, this was on my last overnight smoke. I left the meat probes in (I use the Weber iGrill) to make sure they didn't drop below 165. They were wrapped in foil, and a towel.

I just wanted to make sure the timing that I worked out in my head seems at least close. :) I've cut it close on a couple smokes, and also had dinner at 9pm once - but I don't want to screw up my daughter's 1st birthday. Unfortunately my options are to start it at 6am on Friday and likely have to re-warm the meat, or aim for noon and keep it at food safe temps till 12-1pm on Saturday. I'd totally do this a full day ahead of time if this was an option.

Bite the bullet and start it on Friday at 6am. Your daughter only has one 1st birthday. Besides you want to be able to enjoy the day with your daughter and not spend the day fretting over PP. PP reheats really well and tastes just as good the next day reheated. Not to mention if something goes awry - you don't want your wife and extended family ragging on you for the next twenty years.

Chris

Thought I better come back and check in - I had the wife start the smoker at 3pm. Come to find out (and I never saw our own invites) the timing she gave me was for us to go and setup since we were having the party at my inlaws.

She didn't open the bottom damper, so smoke was limited for the first 2 hours, but temp was good. When I got home, I got the smoke rolling. It smoked overnight - I planned on wrapping it around 3am, and it was probably ready but I slept through that alarm, so I think. I'm not positive I didnt walk downstairs and check the temp on my Weber iGrill and decide to nap for a while.. or not. Zero clue. So when I woke up at 5am, I was shocked and ran downstairs.

It was at 171 degrees on one, 172 on the other. I wrapped them up, and then they were done around 10:30am. I kept them warm for a little longer by setting the electronic smoker to 205 degrees, then coolered them for a full 4 hours. They were still 175 degrees when I shredded them. All turned out well. :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky