time frame for smoking butt cut in half

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

PassTheFlux

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 3, 2019
Hello,

I have a round a 8 pound butt (4 pounds each) cut in half that i plan on smoking at 225 for around 6 hours, do you fine people believe it will be done at around 6 hours since it has more surface space?

Thanks for the advice.

I don't think it will be at 225, there is no correct answer as to when they will be done, butt's are funny, they are done when they're done, maybe up the temp and wrap when they hit the stall but I still think it will go past 6 hours. give it a shot and see what happens.

wow, i did not know it was that viariant. I guess i should have specified. My plan is 6 hours, 4 hours open smoke and 2 hours wrapped in butchers paper. maybe i should plan for 7 hours, and 1 hour rest.

I would up your temp if you want to make sure you are done in that amount of time, you can always wrap it up in a cooler for hours if it’s done early

I just did a 10# last weekend at 300 and it was done in 6 hrs no wrap

Reactions: webs05 and tallbm
wow, i did not know it was that viariant. I guess i should have specified. My plan is 6 hours, 4 hours open smoke and 2 hours wrapped in butchers paper. maybe i should plan for 7 hours, and 1 hour rest.

Hi there and welcome!

At 275F pork butt cooks unwrapped at just a hair over 1 hour a pound.
Even if you split up you are still doing 8 pounds of meat so I would imagine at at 275F you may be able to hit 6 hours but I wouldn't bet on it.

At 275F plan for about an hour a pound and plan to finish 4 hours early.
When the meat is done double wrap in foil and then wrap in 3 bath towels and set on the coutner. 4-5 hours later it will still be so hot that you can easily pull the meat apart and serve.

I highly recommend you get the timing close and then plan to finish 4 hours early so you have a good window to work with and no matter what you get good hot pulled pork. :)

Reactions: JJS and Jonok
I figured out a long time ago that trying to cook things like brisket and butts by time is a lot like asking my girlfriend how long she’s gonna be before she is ready, never early and most of the time twice as long as stated

so even with the added surface area of a split butt it wont reduce the time that much?

so even with the added surface area of a split butt it wont reduce the time that much?

I did a pair of almost split butts (butterflied) at 275F a couple of weekends ago. It was 17.5 pounds of meat total and I shaved about 5 hours off smoking naked and a stead 275F the whole time.

Normally would be 17-18.5 hours but was 12'ish hours.
Again PLAN to be 4-5 hours early and you should be fine. If you plan to be right on the money and run late you will be in trouble :)

I usually try and use 8.5lb butts.
They usually finish in 7 hours on my smoker but every now and then I will get a stubborn butt that takes 8-9 hours.
Sometimes meat is done when it is done.

My suggestion would be if it's not cooking as fast as you want bump the temp up. And push it along.

With all the advice I am going with 8 hours l, 6 of them unwrapped at 225-260 heat range. So far so good, will post more pics when it is done, happy 4th everyone!

Attachments

• B863CCAA-A1EC-4AAA-ACF4-6224D4F09B0C.jpeg
    B863CCAA-A1EC-4AAA-ACF4-6224D4F09B0C.jpeg
    205.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 25B95BFB-B513-494F-B704-7DE672641BA9.jpeg
    25B95BFB-B513-494F-B704-7DE672641BA9.jpeg
    158.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 2935917C-5A1B-4E22-A1C1-3D6E91A010AC.jpeg
    2935917C-5A1B-4E22-A1C1-3D6E91A010AC.jpeg
    150.3 KB · Views: 12
happy smoking, keep your fingers crossed for the 6 hours but have enough beer for the 8 hours

225f is okay for someone that has the time and has a lot of it to spare.. 275f will give great results without drying your meat out (Do use a water pan and spritz with your favorite liquid).

I started my Butt a little late, at 7 am. 2.5 hours so far and it is at 154 degrees internal temp, cooking at 275 on my Masterbuilt Thermotemp smoker. Spritzing every hour, on hour with cranapple juice. I plan to pull at 195 so we can slice it more than pull it. My wife likes it better that way. MVIMG_20190704_093149[1].jpg

Looking good so far.

As usual, you guys where correct. I hit the stall earlier on at around 150, and it stayed there for a hours. I just threw it in the oven an hour ago and raised the temp to bring it up before resting it. Soon!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky