Thread for anyone to post Thanksgiving Q view

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thsmormonsmokes

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 11, 2011
Lindon, UT
So I figured it would be a good idea to have a thread where anyone can post Thanksgiving Q view, whether they wanted to start a new thread over it or not.  I didn't see one, so I thought I'd be the one to start it.

I've been up since 0dark:30 and the smoker is gradually coming up to temp.  It's 34 outside right now, so this will be a fuel intensive smoke for the old Chargriller.  So far, this is the only picture I've got to show for it.  Turkey is rubbed.  Nothing out of the ordinary today.  Just a little EVOO, kosher salt, fresh ground black pepper, and granulated garlic.  Here she is, hovering safely at 35 IT while waiting to go into the smoker, which is rolling that beautiful TBS and should be up to temp shortly.

I'll post more pics when she comes off.  I'm smoking with a mixture of cherry and apple wood today.  I'm very much looking forward to seeing what it looks like and seeing the smoke ring.  

So post away everyone.  There is no such thing as threadjacking in this thread.

Last edited:
Also, once again I give my huge thanks to Jeff, who I think is the guy that started this site.  At a minimum, he's the one who developed that rub and sauce recipe that have blown the minds of my whole family and all my friends.  I hope he's making a few bucks off it.  

And a huge thanks to everyone that contributes here.  I first decided I'd try my hand at BBQ a year ago now when I bought my Chargriller almost on an impulse buy.  I had a few really frustrating smokes with moderate success before I found this site.  It would have taken me 5 years to learn what I learned in the first month I spent reading everything I could find on here.

So thanks to everyone in SMF land.  I would not be producing Q worth much more than dog food without the info I've learned here.  

My family thanks you as well, since they've been the beneficiaries of everything I've learned here.

I forgot to post a final shot of my Thanksgiving bird.  I had to run a last minute errand to my girlfriend's house, and the breast IT had climbed to 172 by the time I got back.  I wanted to nail it right at 165 for maximum moisture, but duty calls.  

Anywho, it was an absolutely delicious bird.  Smoked with a mixture of apple and cherry wood.  It's been wonderful as leftovers too.

Hard to beat smoked turkey.

Good idea for a T-Day Q-View

Got my turk washed and ready for the WSM. Rubbed the inside with John Henrys Pecan, olive oil rubbed on the skin.

WSM coming to temp. Used apple/cherry mix.

Close to 3 hours in.

Done and resting before taking to the RV Park T-Dinner. Almost got darker while it was resting.

This is whats left.

Good idea for a T-Day Q-View

Got my turk washed and ready for the WSM. Rubbed the inside with John Henrys Pecan, olive oil rubbed on the skin.

WSM coming to temp. Used apple/cherry mix.

Close to 3 hours in.

Done and resting before taking to the RV Park T-Dinner. Almost got darker while it was resting.

This is whats left.

Is there an advantage to leaving the legs tucked into the cavity skin flap like you've done?  

This year, Prof. Q let two of his prize pupils (his sons) take over and this is what they came up with.  Really, how can you lose!

How they saw Thanksgiving dinner...

Finished product.

Last edited:
Well, turkey bacon may suck, but bacon turkey looks AWESOME! :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Yup, the only way we could even think about using the word 'suck' was when we all 'sucked' it down in a hurry leaving the poor ham sitting all alone and hardly touched! 

This year, Prof. Q let two of his prize pupils (his sons) take over and this is what they came up with.  Really, how can you lose!

How they saw Thanksgiving dinner...

Finished product.

You sir, are the proud parent of a couple of geniuses.  I LOVE the bacon weave.  I've toothpicked bacon to a rotisserie turkey breast before, but it just didn't do the job very well.

Here's what I did this year. It was about a 15# turkey. I marinated instead of brining this year, and that turned out to be a mistake. The breast was a bit dry, but at least the flavor was good. Used a honey/orange juice marinade from the website of a particular brand of smoker.

Used my AMNPS with 2/3 apple and 1/3 maple pellets. As you can see, the turkey came out rather dark:

Sliced.

And our daughter's dog, Isabelle, experiencing a triptophan overload afterward:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky