This weekend without the Mrs.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cornman

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 30, 2016
South central PA
It’s been a while since I’ve posted anything and this past weekend my wife went to see our daughter in Long Island, leaving me and the dogs to fend for ourselves.

Friday, I found some tuna steaks on clearance, seasoned them with olive oil, salt and pepper, and gave them a quick sear on the grill. I bought a bagged salad and made my own balsamic dressing, and tada...a great meal on an otherwise oppressively hot day.

A544C5B2-DE2F-4B2B-8929-F6AAB81ABF0E.jpeg

Saturday, I was out so onto Sunday. My wife was supposed to be home for dinner, but she and my daughter were caught in the partial blackout in NYC on Saturday so some of their plans were rearranged to Sunday and she wouldn’t be home until Monday. I already planned on pit beef for her return and had already started prepping when this played out so I decided to stick with the plan, use some hickory on the WSM, and go with it.

I had a 3 lb. top round I picked up on clearance and smoked it to 128 IT (I’m finding 128 is my personal choice for steaks on the grill and any other beef I like medium rare). I rubbed in a mix of approximately 2 parts pepper, 2 parts garlic powder, and 1 part salt and let it rest after smoking. I sliced it as thin as I could and took some over to my parents. It was the best pit beef I’ve made yet...great flavor, juicy, and a little red on the inside. My parents, who generally like their food on the bland side and don’t always rush for smoked food or anything of the sort were going crazy over it! I left a batch for my wife as she is my biggest fan in the kitchen/grill/smoker and she devoured it after a long weekend in New York. Thanks for looking!

2978E96F-F991-48BF-B85C-855D46438ED0.jpeg

3F4E3C33-2659-4704-94B7-89184F22B0FF.jpeg

PS. The dogs made out alright as they had a few small “samples “ of pit beef too.

I like your line up!

I kinda look forward to the me and the dogs times - sometimes! My wife is about to leave me with our two labs for 8 days... I have half a brisket to naw on and a freezer full of options - with bevs of course! Cheers to the bachelor pad!

Looks Great CR !!!
Whenever my Better half isn't here, I go to Seafood too, because she won't touch it.
Nice Job.
Like.

Bear

Thank you, guys! It’s good to see people appreciate American “champagne”.

Absolutely!!
I started out after the Army with about 8 years of Schmidts.
Then some PBR, Rolling Rock, and Yuengling, and then about 30 years of High Life.

Bear

That beef sure looks good , but you got me thinking about the Miller pony days .

Miller Ponies!!!---Memory Alert!!

Those little 7 ouncers were perfect when I mowed at my old house.
That was back when I was mowing 4 1/2 acres, and Bear Jr was just a little fellow. And 1 lap around my yard was about right for 1 Pony. And it was Bear Jr's job to replace the empty with a full Pony when I set the empty on the corner of the back Deck. Also this was in the days before I had a Tractor with a Drink Holder, so I had to hold it in my hand, while driving.

Bear

Sorry about the Hijack, Mr Cornman---But Another Memory leaked out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky