Third attempt at spareribs on RF

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

flatbroke

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 16, 2007
30103985-F1DB-4514-9FF4-2E196E376D2C.jpeg
B996BC24-0F11-4869-B635-BCA702BDEB8A.jpeg
20D03C41-B4AD-4D1A-9A18-E669DE5563B4.jpeg
AC29B96F-07CA-446C-9389-3DEF22946B5E.jpeg
AC63DB42-6816-4848-A380-A22D4F190B1F.jpeg
7FEE59AB-5620-499F-A0E8-6598C9B7EA94.jpeg
0CC698CC-37A9-4ECF-8953-2C23A5176D44.jpeg
4488E950-CFA9-4362-A92B-F34AEABE50C2.jpeg
We have a family reunion coming up and I offered to cook ribs for everyone. Now I am trying to nail it down. This is my 3rd attempt. I cooked 3 racks rubbed and sauces at end. Mushrooms had cream cheese blended with chopped cooked bacon, 3 Serrano chilies from the garden, mozzarella, rosemary from garden,green onion and garlic salt and pepper.
Tried to keep the smoker At 250 however it wanted to run 300. Took 1 rack off well before the other 2. I wrapped it in foil no sauce. Sauced ribs were pretty tasty but maybe a tad over done. Bite through on some and pull off bone on others.
The mushrooms were off the hook. Ribs are pretty tasty but I still on my hunt. Thanks for looking.

Good looking ribs. Try a water pan or just use a chop saw to cut your wood into smaller pieces so u can have a smaller but clean fire. I just put a water pan in mine and I’m struggling getting it up to temp. Got any firebox pics?

Reactions: flatbroke
Good looking ribs. Try a water pan or just use a chop saw to cut your wood into smaller pieces so u can have a smaller but clean fire. I just put a water pan in mine and I’m struggling getting it up to temp. Got any firebox pics?
What does the water pan do? My fire was burning clear at the stack. Only about 2 small pieces every 45 min. Maybe it was running hotter than the last 2 cooks because it was sunny, zero wind and 95 degrees

C6F65D30-AD57-4E64-A6F1-3DF6BD05FE57.jpeg

Start up last cook building coal bed. Then 2 splits every 45 min or so

FDE94959-1FCA-4777-9EF0-1244BBAB41AD.jpeg
FD1FC97D-5CC6-46BB-8B9C-98FD7499C077.jpeg
That looks like way to big a piece to put in there. Try half that size. I use only wood myself. Here’s how I start mine then toss a decent size piece on once it’s going. Water pan absorbs some of the heat

Looks like your pretty much dialed in for the family reunion. Ribs look amazing.

Point for sure.

Chris

Your ribs look amazing!
Actually the whole meal looks delicious!
Nicely done & congrats on making the carousel!!!
Al

I'd say your ribs look good. We do a lot of squash on the grill as well. Never thought about the stuffed mushrooms though. I'll have to try that one weekend.
Your food looks mighty tasty.

..... Took 1 rack off well before the other 2. I wrapped it in foil no sauce. Sauced ribs were pretty tasty but maybe a tad over done. Bite through on some and pull off bone on others.
..... Ribs are pretty tasty but I still on my hunt. Thanks for looking.

So, they look delicious to me.... Where do you wanna take these?

are you looking just to have them all come out the same?
Or a different texture totally?

What I find most interesting is how everyone has a different idea on the "Perfect" ribs!
To me, I'm so new to this game that I'm just happy that I could eat them!

if they are edible and tasty, that is success to me!
If I were closer, I'd accept an invite any time!

Well they look mighty fine to me. I like a bit of pull to my ribs, the wife is a fall of the bone type. Your meal looks great to me. A definite point there. Congrats on the carousel ride.

So, they look delicious to me.... Where do you wanna take these?

are you looking just to have them all come out the same?
Or a different texture totally?

What I find most interesting is how everyone has a different idea on the "Perfect" ribs!
To me, I'm so new to this game that I'm just happy that I could eat them!

if they are edible and tasty, that is success to me!
If I were closer, I'd accept an invite any time!
I’m trying to get it so they look good and you can bite the rib and it pulls off the bone but leaves the meat in tact kn either side of your bite. Some of these were there. Just trying to have repeated experiences. I have to cook for my wife’s family reunion in. Couple weeks and I want to Nail it.

I took a couple racks to work this week and the guys there really liked them. A couple want to buy ribs and have me cook them for them. So maybe I’m not too far off.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky