1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Third attempt at spareribs on RF

Discussion in 'Pork' started by flatbroke, Aug 4, 2018.

1. flatbroke

flatbroke Smoking Fanatic ★ Lifetime Premier ★

30103985-F1DB-4514-9FF4-2E196E376D2C.jpeg B996BC24-0F11-4869-B635-BCA702BDEB8A.jpeg 20D03C41-B4AD-4D1A-9A18-E669DE5563B4.jpeg AC29B96F-07CA-446C-9389-3DEF22946B5E.jpeg AC63DB42-6816-4848-A380-A22D4F190B1F.jpeg 7FEE59AB-5620-499F-A0E8-6598C9B7EA94.jpeg 0CC698CC-37A9-4ECF-8953-2C23A5176D44.jpeg 4488E950-CFA9-4362-A92B-F34AEABE50C2.jpeg We have a family reunion coming up and I offered to cook ribs for everyone. Now I am trying to nail it down. This is my 3rd attempt. I cooked 3 racks rubbed and sauces at end. Mushrooms had cream cheese blended with chopped cooked bacon, 3 Serrano chilies from the garden, mozzarella, rosemary from garden,green onion and garlic salt and pepper.
    Tried to keep the smoker At 250 however it wanted to run 300. Took 1 rack off well before the other 2. I wrapped it in foil no sauce. Sauced ribs were pretty tasty but maybe a tad over done. Bite through on some and pull off bone on others.
    The mushrooms were off the hook. Ribs are pretty tasty but I still on my hunt. Thanks for looking.

2. dcecil

dcecil Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

I would call that a success, everything looks fantastic

flatbroke likes this.
  3. motocrash

motocrash Master of the Pit

Well,you're definitely in the hunt.Look good from here.

flatbroke likes this.
  4. motolife313

motolife313 Smoking Fanatic

Good looking ribs. Try a water pan or just use a chop saw to cut your wood into smaller pieces so u can have a smaller but clean fire. I just put a water pan in mine and I’m struggling getting it up to temp. Got any firebox pics?

flatbroke likes this.
  5. flatbroke

What does the water pan do? My fire was burning clear at the stack. Only about 2 small pieces every 45 min. Maybe it was running hotter than the last 2 cooks because it was sunny, zero wind and 95 degrees

6. flatbroke

C6F65D30-AD57-4E64-A6F1-3DF6BD05FE57.jpeg
    Start up last cook building coal bed. Then 2 splits every 45 min or so

7. motolife313

motolife313 Smoking Fanatic

FDE94959-1FCA-4777-9EF0-1244BBAB41AD.jpeg FD1FC97D-5CC6-46BB-8B9C-98FD7499C077.jpeg That looks like way to big a piece to put in there. Try half that size. I use only wood myself. Here’s how I start mine then toss a decent size piece on once it’s going. Water pan absorbs some of the heat

8. mike5051

mike5051 Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

The ribs look great!

Mike

flatbroke likes this.
  9. gmc2003

gmc2003 Master of the Pit

Looks like your pretty much dialed in for the family reunion. Ribs look amazing.

Point for sure.

Chris

flatbroke likes this.
  10. SmokinAl

SmokinAl Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Your ribs look amazing!
    Actually the whole meal looks delicious!
    Nicely done & congrats on making the carousel!!!
    Al

11. flatbroke

Thank you.

12. flatbroke

Thanks fellas.

13. fflintlock

fflintlock Newbie

I'd say your ribs look good. We do a lot of squash on the grill as well. Never thought about the stuffed mushrooms though. I'll have to try that one weekend.
    Your food looks mighty tasty.

flatbroke likes this.
  14. nanuk

nanuk Smoking Fanatic ★ Lifetime Premier ★

So, they look delicious to me.... Where do you wanna take these?

are you looking just to have them all come out the same?
    Or a different texture totally?

What I find most interesting is how everyone has a different idea on the "Perfect" ribs!
    To me, I'm so new to this game that I'm just happy that I could eat them!

if they are edible and tasty, that is success to me!
    If I were closer, I'd accept an invite any time!

15. ab canuck

ab canuck Master of the Pit ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Well they look mighty fine to me. I like a bit of pull to my ribs, the wife is a fall of the bone type. Your meal looks great to me. A definite point there. Congrats on the carousel ride.

flatbroke likes this.
  16. crazymoon

crazymoon Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

FB, Fine looking meal, I'd like a plate of those smoked goodies! like

flatbroke likes this.
  17. flatbroke

I’m trying to get it so they look good and you can bite the rib and it pulls off the bone but leaves the meat in tact kn either side of your bite. Some of these were there. Just trying to have repeated experiences. I have to cook for my wife’s family reunion in. Couple weeks and I want to Nail it.

18. flatbroke

I took a couple racks to work this week and the guys there really liked them. A couple want to buy ribs and have me cook them for them. So maybe I’m not too far off.