Thinking about smoking an a gas grill....need pointers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gitaryzt1985

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 6, 2014
I normally smoke on either my offset or my Weber Kettle, however I am planning to have pulled pork and burger this weekend for a get together, but don't want to spend all day babysitting a smoker.

Is there a major flavor difference when smoking on a gas grill with a smoke box vs on a charcoal smoker? Will I still get a decent bark?

I have never done it this way but I wouldnt think you would nearly get close to the smoke flavor you would on a charcoal, my pellet grill doesnt even give me as much smoke flavor as my WSM does.

Reactions: gitaryzt1985
It can be done, but why not look up the snake method and use your kettle.

Chris

I have used my gas grill and I have a cast charcoal smoke tray and it does not work worth a crap. I had better luck when doing ribs smoke on my big chief for 3 hrs then on the gas grill. The Chief the chip pan lasts 45 mins, and the chief gets to about 165 so after 3 rounds there is smoke into the meat then on the gas grill. For 3 years I tried different ways on the gas grill and was never happy. I am sure that once the heat gets up 250 or so you still can not get smoke out of a foil packett of chips and then it starts to cook the meat.

I have done this numerous times.
I put a cast iron smoke box full of oak/pecan pellets as well as a few chunks of pecan.
Only turn one burner on high and put smoke box on top of “flavorizer” bar (under the grate).
Once smoke starts turn burner down to your desired temp.
Put your pork butt on other side.
Once you get your temp settled in you are good until it’s done.
I wrap my butts in foil once the fat on top splits and take them to about 205 but make sure the butt is probe tender all over.
I get a great bark using this method and people love it.
Let us know how it goes.
Only potential issue is to be sure you have enough propane in the tank.
I can get 2-3 pork butt cooks on one full tank.

I did my first Butt on a gas grill with a smoke box. It turned out just fine with god bark. However I do prefer my vertical smoker. Best of luck to you either way

I have used a smoke box when cooking at a friends house. Did not get any complaints and it was pretty easy. Did not get quite the flavor that I am used to though. You will still have to keep an eye on it though to make sure your chips don't burn too fast and replacing them as needed depending on the length of your smoke.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky