Things I Have Learned Over the Years Smoking Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

357mag

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Piedmont Triad of NC
I am one of those people who likes to do a lot of research on anything that I want to do and I tend to get obsessive compulsive to the point where I have to become an expert on anything I want to do. Smoking brisket is no exception. I spent probably 3 or 4 months reading in this forum before I even attempted to smoke my first brisket. What I have found in the 7 years I have spent doing this is that no matter what you do, no two briskets will cook the same way twice. I have had a brisket stall at 175° for 4 hours and I have had them not stall at all. I have done them with the fat cap up and I have done them with the fat cap down. Either way they turned out just as juicy. I prefer cap down just because I like the way the fatty bark turns out when I do it that way. I have foiled at 160°-165° and I have not foiled with no real difference in quality for me. I have let them rest in a cooler for a couple of hours and I have let them rest on the cutting board for 15 minutes and had a great brisket either way. I have trimmed and rubbed the night before and I have trimmed and rubbed just before I put it in the smoker and I have had a great tasting brisket either way.

The thing is, find a method that works for you and go with it. Don't stress over it, have fun. Smoking a brisket is not preparing a meal, it is a day long, multidimensional process. It is drama, it is comedy, it is science fiction and sometimes it is horror. I put my brisket in the smoker most times at around 11pm and by 11pm the next day we are putting away the leftovers and cleaning up the dishes after having 8 or 10 good friends over for good food and great fellowship.

So get yourself a nice packer, get some wood to smoke with, and invite some friends over. Have someone bring the baked beans, another to bring the mac and cheese, another to bring the slaw, byob, and have a good time.

Good advise. The whole process should be enjoyed and shared with people you care about. We can be our own worst critics. I know some of the food I've made and wasn't that happy with, were raved about by everyone else who attended.

Great summary. Thanks 357!

Been smoking for 3 years and still haven't found the courage to do a brisket. I really have to give it a try

It can be intimidating, especially because of the cost of the meat. But as 357 points out, it is not so difficult. Most important part (to me) is wait for it to get done (somewhere north of 200). When it probes with little resistance, it's done. As a major sportswear company would say: "Just do it"! You won't be disappointed.

Very Well Written, 357!!!
Should help to put a lot of minds a little more at ease.
Like.

Bear

9A0F80FA-8DA6-4677-99CD-206DD77CAB59.jpeg
I’m doing my first full packer this weekend . I found a source here in NE Ohio . Have done a couple flats that came out very good using AL’s method . Thanks for write up . I’ll report back on how mine turns out

That's pretty much what's been holding me back. I'll get around to it eventually ;-)
Get yourself a good remote grilling thermometer. There is no way I would do this without one. It is one of the things that gives me confidence. It is worth the $50 investment. If you have successfully smoked other meats, you can do a brisket. It is just bigger and takes more time. You could try smoking a Boston butt first. It is about half the cost and takes about as much time and is a little more forgiving, but it will give you the experience of a long 12-14 hour smoke.

That’s a great write-up! I am actually trying my first brisket this coming Friday! (After months of waiting) An all nighter on my WSM!
Get one from Costco and u can start it at 6 and be eating by 5-6 with a hour or two rest.

I just got a USDA prime 14 lb brisket packer from Costco at $3.49/lb. I can hardly wait. I have never smoked a prime. I have always gotten choice packers from Walmart. My Costco used to not carry packers, only flats. This is the first packer I have seen at my Costco. I couldn't believe my eyes.$3.49/lb and prime to boot.

Get yourself a good remote grilling thermometer.

One of the first things I bought when I started out. ;)

You could try smoking a Boston butt first. It is about half the cost and takes about as much time and is a little more forgiving.

Yeah I have done a couple of these. They were good, and people really enjoyed them. But to me, I didn't quite get the result I was hoping for. It's unfortunate to put that much effort into something and get less than stellar results. Guess I'll just have to practice a bunch more :p

I'm going to start looking for some brisket though. It's not very common in my area

You are right on. No two are alike. I did one about a month ago and it was okay, nothing to really rave about.

I did one last week and it was "one of the best" I have ever done. One thing that I just started to do this summer is

to finish them in the oven after I foil at 165/170F. It has all the smoke at this time and a lot less fuss. definitely rest it,

an hour minimum, some magic happens in that cooler.

You are right don't sweat it, have fun!

RG

20181005_192945.jpg

You are right on. No two are alike. I did one about a month ago and it was okay, nothing to really rave about.

I did one last week and it was "one of the best" I have ever done. One thing that I just started to do this summer is

to finish them in the oven after I foil at 165/170F. It has all the smoke at this time and a lot less fuss. definitely rest it,

an hour minimum, some magic happens in that cooler.

You are right don't sweat it, have fun!

RG

Hey Stranger!!
Nice Picture, RG!

Bear

Reactions: radioguy
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky