Thighs on the Weber

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sawhorseray

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 17, 2014
Gilbert, AZ
One of the biggest benefits of living in AZ is being able to cook outside 12 months a year. Last night it was eight large yardbird thighs on the Weber using the SnS with a hunk of hickory on the coals to get a little smoke flavor, four rubbed and sauced for me, four plain for Jan. At the flip with a yam to add a few more coals
DSCN2592.JPG

All vents wide open, total time 90 minutes, darned near set and forget!
DSCN2593.JPG

All plated up with some Cesar salad
DSCN2595.JPG

I had juice runnin' off my chin and even ate the skin! Tonight I'll fire the Weber back up for some jumbo shrimp on the CI tray, that what the wife wants for Eve dinner. Thanks for lookin' in and be sure to stay safe over the holidays, Merry Christmas! RAY

Looks great . I did legs 2 nights ago . Coals banked on one side . Screamin hot .
Thighs are the best though , and those look fantastic .

Reactions: sawhorseray
Looks great Ray, I still like doing all my high heat cooks like chicken parts with the Vortex, but I can't argue with your successes.

Point for sure
Chris

A Beautiful Color on those Thighs. I'll take a Roasted Sweet Potato/Yam over a Baked Russet any day. They are tasty, I eat the Skin too, and better for you...JJ

Just beautiful Ray!! Excellent job my friend and they must have been darned good if'n you ate the skin. That's a heck of a testament to chicken cooking perfection I'd say.

Robert

Looks great . I did legs 2 nights ago . Coals banked on one side . Screamin hot .
Thighs are the best though , and those look fantastic .

Thanks Rich, they were absolutely delicious! I've been doing legs with the Vortex a ton lately and they always come out perfect, but it's pretty tough to beat thighs. Thanks for the Like my friend, I do appreciate it. RAY

Looks great Ray, I still like doing all my high heat cooks like chicken parts with the Vortex, but I can't argue with your successes. Point for sure Chris

Thanks Chris! Using the SnS or the Vortex was a toss-up. Before I had either one of those I'd just stack the coals to one side, after forty years I had it down to a science. Thank you for the Like Chris, much appreciated. RAY

A Beautiful Color on those Thighs. I'll take a Roasted Sweet Potato/Yam over a Baked Russet any day. They are tasty, I eat the Skin too, and better for you...JJ

Thank Chef, I love the yam skin, best part. You'll see yams in a lot of my posts due to me having low potassium, so it's either those, pills, or bananas, and I ain't crazy about bananas! RAY

Just beautiful Ray!! Excellent job my friend and they must have been darned good if'n you ate the skin. That's a heck of a testament to chicken cooking perfection I'd say. Robert

Thank you my friend! I should be getting pretty fair cooking up some yardbird after this much time. That and fish are one of the few things that Jan will eat, so tonight it will be jumbo shrimp over coals using the CI tray. Thanks for the Like amigo, it's greatly appreciated! RAY

Looks absolutely delicious! Beautiful color on those thighs......

Thanks Push! I hope it's not getting to foggy out there in duck hunting country, I spent a ton of time freezing my butt off in a blind out your way. Thank you for the Like, much appreciated. RAY

Those thighs look perfect Ray! I can never find them that big round here. You are killing it with your setup. Great work. I hope you'll share some pics of your Shrimp dinner too.

Those thighs look perfect Ray! I can never find them that big round here. You are killing it with your setup. Great work. I hope you'll share some pics of your Shrimp dinner too.

Thanks Mike! Those family sized packs of thighs usually run about 5-6 pounds max for ten of them, this pack had eight. If they have a big selection I like to dig theu and find the big ones, I believe they cook up better and for some reason come out a lot more juicy. Jan got the CI shrimp tray a few months back and the thing does a phenomenal job, lemon-butter jumbos in two minutes, perfect every time, I'll find the link and post it up tomorrow. Thanks for the Like Mike, I appreciate it. RAY
DSCN2448.JPG

Magnificent coloring on those thighs, Ray! Loving that yam too. Stu

Thanks Stuart! I'm looking forward to the day when all this covid crap dies down so we'll be able to meet and eat with you and Meredith. I've got a old friend in CA who now has a girlfriend in Tucson, he called and wanted to come visit last time he was out this way. I had to tell him he resort wasn't quite open for guests yet, hopefully this summer. Thanks for the Like Stu, I do appreciate it. RAY

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Those shrimp are killer! A CI shrimp tray? I've never seen that. Interesting. Can you use it on a regular gas grill? Probably I assume? I'm gonna look for one, where'd you get yours? We love shrimp!

Those shrimp are killer! A CI shrimp tray? I've never seen that. Interesting. Can you use it on a regular gas grill? Probably I assume? I'm gonna look for one, where'd you get yours? We love shrimp!

I have no idea if it works on a gas grill Mike, I've never cooked on one, ever. I set it on the grill of my Weber over red hot coals to heat up, brush some melted lemon butter into the slots, use tongs to place the shrimp in the slots, then brush on the rest of the lemon butter, Two minutes, perfect every time. My wife Jan says they are the best shrimp ever and she should know, she doesn't eat beef, pork, or lamb cuts, but she thrives on shrimp. RAY
Amazon.com: Outset 76375 Shrimp Cast Iron Grill and Serving Pan: Home & Kitchen

The color on those thighs is beautiful. Nice work bud

Thanks Jake! I think tossing a chuck of hickory onto the coals gets it that color, and a litle smoke flavor to boot! RAY

Reactions: MJB05615

Mike,
You sure can use CI anything on a gasser. Just don't let the grill get too hot or else the seasoning will burn off or the CI will warp or crack.

Stu

Thanks Mike! Those family sized packs of thighs usually run about 5-6 pounds max for ten of them, this pack had eight. If they have a big selection I like to dig theu and find the big ones, I believe they cook up better and for some reason come out a lot more juicy. Jan got the CI shrimp tray a few months back and the thing does a phenomenal job, lemon-butter jumbos in two minutes, perfect every time, I'll find the link and post it up tomorrow. Thanks for the Like Mike, I appreciate it. RAY
View attachment 476752

Thanks Stuart! I'm looking forward to the day when all this covid crap dies down so we'll be able to meet and eat with you and Meredith. I've got a old friend in CA who now has a girlfriend in Tucson, he called and wanted to come visit last time he was out this way. I had to tell him he resort wasn't quite open for guests yet, hopefully this summer. Thanks for the Like Stu, I do appreciate it. RAY

Ray, I hear you. That would be great for all of us to get together when the pandemic is gone.

Mike,
You sure can use CI anything on a gasser. Just don't let the grill get too hot or else the seasoning will burn off or the CI will warp or crack.

Stu
Thanks Stu, I bought the CI Shrimp tray on Amazon today, won't be in til Jan 11. I read a little about it and it will work on a gas grill. So I'll try it. We love Shrimp here , and Ray's looked so darn good, I would never forgive myself if I didn't try it.

Thanks for the info.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
I have no idea if it works on a gas grill Mike, I've never cooked on one, ever. I set it on the grill of my Weber over red hot coals to heat up, brush some melted lemon butter into the slots, use tongs to place the shrimp in the slots, then brush on the rest of the lemon butter, Two minutes, perfect every time. My wife Jan says they are the best shrimp ever and she should know, she doesn't eat beef, pork, or lamb cuts, but she thrives on shrimp. RAY
Amazon.com: Outset 76375 Shrimp Cast Iron Grill and Serving Pan: Home & Kitchen
Thanks Ray, just pulled the trigger at Amazon. Won't be here til mid January, then I'm gonna try it. Can't wait.
If it works like I think it will, my shrimp order just tripled, lol. Thanks for the info and the link.

Thanks Jake! I think tossing a chuck of hickory onto the coals gets it that color, and a litle smoke flavor to boot! RAY

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky